18: My (father's) sins

Hello, I'm back! Sorry for letting you wait, I wanted to upload on 24th already, but I got down with a nasty cold, that kept me in bed until 26th (yep, I spent Christmas in bed, or sitting halfway dead around my family...) and I had to work on 27th and 28th. Thanks to the cold, I had less energy left after work and was forced to put my plans on editing this chapter, that I had thankfully finished before getting ill, to rest until I was done with work - and until the stupid internet worked with me. Seriously, I love my family, but their internet connection is the worst... Anyway, NOW I'm here and presenting you my new chapter.

WARNING!

Yep, there is a warning in this chapter. I just have the feeling, that I went a little too far with a small part of the story and put up the warning for good measure. You won't miss anything if you skip it, so please do this, if you are easily spooked/grossed out/traumatized by things you read. Thank you!

END OF WARNING!

Now, on with the story!

"...You don't have a heart!?," Shadow managed to ask after a few seconds of shocked silence, in that nobody moved, not even number 300.

He knew, that Mephiles had no mercy, but it just wouldn't go in his head, that he truly lacked the important (if not most important) muscle in his chest – even he had a heart, though it didn't have an exactly necessary function, he could survive easily without its beating. His creator probably just added it so he would feel more normal.

"Oh, I do have a heart, he does, too, we just aren't keeping them in our chests. It's such a hassle to recover it, if it gets damaged, you know?," Mephiles replied leisurely, enjoying the speechless Shadow.

It was rare enough to see him unguarded, he had last seen him like that, when he had presented himself in the agent's stolen look.

"And how do you do this?," Knuckles, who had recovered from his own shock, asked. "How can you not have it in you and still be fine?" This was starting to creep him out – and he had fought against a ghost once!

"In my case, I have my Black Magic to thank for that – but I highly doubt, that a simpleminded fool like this Perringten can actually understand the highly complex spells required for this – not to mention, that he could never get his hands on one of those. He probably used this technology.," he spat the last word with disgust.

All this modern stuff wasn't his style, he was age old after all and been freed in a world, that already had complicated technology. No wonder, that he had trouble with adjusting to present times.

He turned his head a little to look at the hedgehogs behind him. "The heart has to be here somewhere and I'm sure I could find it. If I can put it back in his chest, the chance to defeat this monster might actually be there."

He didn't kid himself – he had no idea, where this heart was, how it looked like (his own didn't resemble an anatomically correct heart, either) and if it was even possible to put it back, or to destroy it. However, he didn't see any other way to kill this thing otherwise, seeing, how fast it recovered.

As long as the heart was alive, his body would reconstruct itself as much as needed. They could hope, that it would tire itself out – but it wasn't clear, just how long this would take. In the worst case, the artificial creature could go on for days and that was something nobody of them could.

Already Mephiles could see, that the hole in its chest was completely closed, not leaving a trace of the wound, while his own torso was still open and bleeding. Not because he couldn't heal it, or something like that, but because he needed to bleed anyway.