17: Heartless

It's rewritten. See the end of the chapter for explanations. Enjoy!

"How...could he be so fast?," Mighty asked, astounded. He knew, that not even Sonic – the fastest creature he thought existed – would have been able to cause that much havoc in what? – five minutes!?

Shadow bared his fangs. He knew, how this was possible. This thing knew Chaos Control! It had simply stopped time and then destroyed and killed everyone it had found. As it had his DNA, it wasn't so surprising – he had the knowledge for this engraved in his system, too – but the fact, that it COULD use it.

To use Chaos Control, he needed an energy source, otherwise he would burn out his own energy cells permanently. The best energy source he knew were Chaos Emeralds.

He himself had used an artificial one, before he had been captured. The fake Emerald, looking like the original ones, had been designed and created by GUN-scientists for him. They probably didn't trust him with a real one.

Anyway, he couldn't feel any kind of Chaos Emerald on this number 300 – somewhere on the island they were currently on, yes, but not close enough to actually provide the creature with energy.

He growled lowly, when he realized something. Number 300 had been created out of his AND Sonic's blood. Unlike himself, Sonic created his own Chaos Energy, just like every naturally born creature. To be created out of the blood of someone, who had this natural ability, must've given him this advantage, too. And yet...if this was true, it should be at least slightly exhausted, but it wasn't, if anything, it looked better than ever! So how? Did it get energy from somewhere he just wasn't able to think of?

The creature looked from one being to the next. Number 300 knew, that it had to collect in the semes and ukes – but which ones of those in front of him? The blue hedgehog, he knew that much, as his master had talked with him, when he had had him in his clutches. Who else? His eyes landed on the violet female. His master wasn't interested in females, he had to kill her. The others...he would take them out and let his master decide, who he should spare and who not.

Not wanting to let his master wait any longer, he threw the squirming male in his grasp in the wall of the building, the impact knocking him out, before he aimed at the female. He was too fast for her, she looked around in confusion, unable to detect him, while he closed in on her. Her eyes were too slow to follow his movements, she wouldn't be able to save herself.

He was just about to kill her, when something hit him, that let him fly back and land in the sea. In seconds, he emerged again, dripping wet, the blood washed off his fur.

It didn't take him long to discover, what had hit him. The blue hedgehog stood still in front of the surprised female, a look of determination in his green eyes. Number 300 felt his eyelid twitch.

Why? He just couldn't understand it. Why should he – or anyone for that matter – protect someone else? It didn't make sense, not at all!

Shaking off the pointless feeling of confusion, he growled and prepared for a fight. As long as one of his targets was standing in front of the only one he could kill, he would have to keep himself restrained, so he wouldn't disobey his master.

The thought had just passed through his head, when something bright appeared in front of him and hit him, before he had time to even register, what it was. He crashed in the water behind him again.

Where he had been, stood Fleetway in the air, in his profile to the others. His fur was glowing and looked, at if it was burning. It moved, thanks to all the energy he was giving off. His eyes were glowing in a deep red and a grin, that showed off his sharp fangs, was on his face.