I stand in the kitchen doorway, admiring my work. This kitchen now seems like it belongs to that of a house, and not a hotel, in which few items are scattered here and there, making it seem completely impersonal.

I must also pay a visit to a grocery store tomorrow, and stock up the now empty fridge. God knows how Manik survives. I grab a Coke can from the fridge and head to my room.

My online course is starting from tomorrow and so I will finally have something to occupy my time with. Sitting at home doing nothing is definitely not my cup of tea. Now that everything is done and over with - thankfully - I can begin a normal routine.

I turn on the tv, wrapping a blanket around myself. Just as I'm about to play the show I want to watch, I hear a door slam downstairs. Is the Devil home? I grip the blanket tighter than before, unsure of whether I should go and check.

My heart is telling me to go and check up on Manik, and see if he's in one piece. However, my brain is chiding me for even thinking such a foolish thought. Stay put, it's saying.

I'm sure Babu - the guard - won't just allow anyone to come in.

More doors slam, the sounds making me wince every time they resonate in my ear. Silence ensues after a while. Maybe Manik's gone to bed.

My room door is suddenly shoved open, the handle banging against the wall behind. I jump, Coke spilling onto my lap.

A frightened yelp escapes my lips.

"Where is all my stuff?" Manik yells, his eyes wide with anger.

"What stuff?" I ask, confused. For some reason, although I should be mad and upset, I feel a certain sense of relief at the sight of him. At least he's alive and safe.

"My kitchen shit!"

"In the dustbin," I reply simply.

"Listen, I'm not in the mood for jokes." Manik warns, shoving an index finger in my direction.

Huffing dramatically, I kick my legs off the bed and stand up, placing my drink on the bedside table.

"Follow," I order, making my way out of the room. "Oh, and you're welcome in advance. As I step off the last stair, a furry body emerges in front of me, making me halt.

"Oh my God," I say, getting down on my knees in front of the cute hairy figure. "And who is this handsome one?" I ask the dog, fondling his ears. He sniffs my feet for a few seconds, before lovingly showering sloppy kisses along my hands. "Alex, isn't it?"

"How do you know my dog's name?" Manik asks cautiously from behind. I spare him a quick glance over my shoulder.

"It's on his collar tag," I explain. Alex plops himself down on the floor in front of my feet, silently telling me to continue petting him.

"You were supposed to show me where my stuff is at."

"Oh, yeah." I say, coming back to the present. I stand up, Alex sticking to my legs. His fur tickles the bare skin of my ankles, as the three of us make our way towards the kitchen.

"All your stuff's here, just slightly rearranged," I explain, opening a cabinet. "Glasses," I nod towards the interior of it.

In this manner, I guide Manik throughout the kitchen, informing him about the items the cabinets carry. Alex follows me like a shadow, his tail constantly at work.

Once I've opened and shut the last cabinet, I turn around to face Manik, leaning against a counter.

"So that's about it," I say, drumming my fingers against the counter-top. I'm quite proud with what I've accomplished tonight. However, Manik's expression is the polar opposite of mine.

"Who the fuck gave you the right to mess with my things?" He asks, his voice dangerously low.

"Because it was a tornado hit room," I gesture around the place with my hands. "And now look at it." Manik fists his left hand, banging it against the door of a cabinet.

"You're a nobody!" His voice booms across the room, shaking the very foundation of this place. "You have no right whatsoever to fuck up my things. My life," Manik clenches his jaw.

His words strike my heart like a hot branding knife. After the past few days of sharing such a beautiful bond with him, such harsh sentences affect me much more than I like.

In fact, I don't even understand the issue. Manik was perfectly okay with our marriage until the car set off. If only he would be open to having a decent conversation with me, so that I can clear out this cloud of confusion in my head.

"I am your wife," I retory, equal strength displayed in my tone. "You might not wish to accept that, but it's a fact. We've signed a marriage contract."

"One which I don't accept. Get that in your head!"

"You will have to learn how to. I'll be cooking inside our kitchen and that's why I re-arranged the items to bring myself some ease." I begin to make my way through the kitchen and towards the door.

The backdoor creaks open and both our heads turn to see Sateesh entering.

"Sorry, Sir." He says, bowing down a bit, when he realizes that the two of us are inside. I bet he can feel the tension which is crackling through the air. I continue to make my way towards the door, Alex close beside my heels.
As I'm about to cross paths with Manik, he grabs hold of my forearm, his nails digging into my skin.

"Don't push it," he whispers in my ear, as I struggle to get his death grip off of me.

Manik's breath reeks of alcohol. Aiyappa, the man's drunk.

"Then get used to it," I say through gritted teeth, yanking my arm away from him. I need to get away from him as soon as I can.

Quite frankly, I don't trust him in such a state, simply because he has no control over his actions.

Tucking the hem of my shirt back into place, I march past Manik, my shoulder bumping against his.