15- Fight For Freedom

Frollo marched towards his men and pointed towards the cathedral door, which had been barricaded from the inside by the Archdeacon.
"Break down that door" ordered Frollo.
As a group of soldiers headed towards the door, a large piece of wood fell down, from the top of Notre Dame. Crushing Frollo's carriage, and several other men.
Frollo lept back in fear, and shouted at his men.
"Come back you cowards. Use that to break down the door" he instructed.
Most of the soliders that were controlling the crowds, and guarding the gypsies, began to make their way towards Notre Dame. As the guard in front of Phoebus began to step forward, Phoebus stole the keys from his belt, and unlocked his cage.

Phoebus climbed on top of his cage, and addressed the crowds.
"Citizens of Paris. Frollo had persecuted our people, ransacked our homes! And now he declares war on Notre Dame herself! Will we allow it?" He asked.
The people shoved past the remaining guards and began freeing the gypsies from their cages. Once free, the gypsies joined the people, and began to fight the soldiers.
Layla jumped out of her cage and prepared to join the fight, but Clopin held her back.

"No! It's not safe. You need to get out of here" he commanded.
"I need to find Esmeralda" shouted Layla.
"Look around you. That is exactly what Frollo and his men are trying to do. If they can't get in, then I doubt you will be ablw to find a way"
"I know I can"
"Even if you could get inside, you might get caught in the middle of the battle. The hunchback is trying to stop people getting in, and he could hurt you by accident"
"I won't go in through the front, I was going to go around the side. I'll be O.K. I promise"
"Fine. If you think you can get in safely, then go for it".

Layla hugged Clopin quickly and ran off through the crowds, trying to avoid all the individual fights going on. Just as she reached the cathedral, a large soldier, stepped out in front of her, blocking the way.
"Going somewhere missy?" He mocked, as he advanced on her.
Layla opened her mouth to reply, but she was saved by a loud bleating noise, coming from behind her. She spun around, turning her back on the man, and saw Djali running towards her.
Djali stopped a few feet in front of her, and Layla raised her eyebrow cheekily. Djali nodded and began to take a few steps back.
Once he had finished moving, Layla dropped to her knees, and Djlai began to run towards her. He jumped onto her back, and then into the air, headbutting the man behind Layla, in the groin.
When the soldier fell to his knees, Layla spun around and kicked him in the face, knocking him out.

"Good boy" praised Layla, patting Djali on the head.
Djali bleated, and Layla nodded her head.
"Yes, I know. Not exactly the right time. We need to get in there and find Esmeralda" she continued.
Djali shook his head and stamped his feet.
"You're not going to come?" Questioned Layla.
The goat shook his head, and ran off around the side of the building, with Layla by his side. Eventually he stopped around the left hand side of the cathedral, he looked up at the top and bleated.
"Yeah. That was my idea as well. I'm still not sure that I will be able to do it though. I may be a good climber, but I've never climbed anything that high before" she admitted.
Djali rubbed his head against Layla affectionetly, and Layla scratched his chin.
"Thanks buddy" she whispered, kissing his head.
Layla stepped towards Notre Dame, took a deep breath, and began to climb.