13- The Palace Of Justice

Layla sat in her prison cell, beside Clopin, staring at the grey brick wall in front of her. Although she could not see them, she knew that Esmeralda was in the cell next door, and Phoebus was in the cell on the other side of her.
She couldn't hear or see any other gypsies, but she had heard their cries when the prison door, at the end of the corridor, had opened. No one could sleep that night, fearing what would happen when the sun rose.
Esmeralda had tried to comfort Layla with her words, from the other side of the wall, with little success. Tears streamed down Layla's face, as she believed that they would all be killed in the morning. She had never before been afraid of the sun rise.

When Frollo appeared, Layla feared the worst. But he walked right past them, and towards Esmeralda's cell. He pulled a key out of his pocket, and opened the cell door. Layla pushed her ear towards her own door, to hear what was being said.
"What are you doing here?" Spat Esmeralda angrily.
"I'm here to offer you your freedom, witch" he replied.
Layla's heart skipped a beat at the thought of being free.
"And what would I have to do to gain my freedom?" Questioned Esmeralda suspiciously.
"It's simple... Marry me, and your sins will be erased" answered Frollo.

Layla gasped and covered her hand over her mouth. Frollo was in love with Esmeralda, just like Phoebus and Quasimodo, and every other man who watched her dance.
Clopin sat in the corner, unaware of the conversation taking place in the next cell. Layla didn't hear Esmeralda's reply, but Frollo exited the cell pretty quickly.
Once he had fled through the corridor, Layla felt safe enough to talk to Esmeralda again.
"Esmeralda?" She trembled.
"Hmm. What is it Layla?" Esmeralda asked.
"What did you say to Frollo?"
"It doesn't matter. He's gone now"
"But he..."
"Just forget about it Layla".

"We aren't going to be alive tomorrow, are we?" Stammered Layla.
"Don't think like that. There is no reason for you to lose your life. He only wants me dead" informed Esmeralda.
"He's not just going to let us all go"
'He might"
"And even if he does, what am I going to do without you? I won't watch you burn, I won't be alone again"
"You won't be alone Layla. But you have to promise to stay out of the way tomorrow. I don't want you to give him an excuse to tie you to my pyre".

Clopin stood up and placed his hands protectively on Layla's shoulders. He spun her around, so that they were facing one another.
"There is nothing you can do to save her Layla. But if you speak out against Frollo tomorrow, he will to kill you too" insisted Clopin.
"I don't care" announced Layla.
Clopin sighed. "No. But imagine how Esmeralda will feel, if you get killed because of her"
"But I can't watch her die"
"Then don't look".

Layla took a step back away from Clopin, hurt by his unhelpful comments. She turned and faced the prison bars, placing her hands on them, as she sunk down to her knees.
As the night turned into day, Esmeralda began to sing her last song, filling the cold cells with her beautiful voice.

"I used to believe,
In the days, I was naive,
That I'd live to see,
A day of justice dawn.
And though I will die,
Long before that morning comes,
I'll die while believing still,
It will come when I am gone".

When the guards came before dawn, to escort them down to the pyer, in front of Notre Dame, the walked in silent solidarity. Refusing to fight their captors, or cry in protest.
Whatever was going to happen, they would let happen.

*********
The song is an extract from the musical, The Hunchback of Notre Dame- Someday.