3- Topsy Turvy

Layla was one of the first people in Paris to wake up, her and the other younger gypsies had to decorate the town, before the people woke up. Clopin had been the first to wake up, wearing his usual colourful jester outfit, and he had woken the others up.
The main street had to be decorated in ribbons, tents and banners, which reminded people that it was Topsy Turvy Day. The gypsies always ran the Festival of Fools, which occured on Topsy Turvy Day. It was one of the safest days of the year to be a gypsy, and there were never any arrests on that day.
The main thing that drew in all the crowds, was the chance to watch Esmeralda dance, and to crown the King of Fools afterwards. Layla had to sing while Esmeralda danced, and collect money after that, for the rest of the day.

Once the street was finished, Layla met up with Esmeralda, who was getting into her costume, inside a tent. She was dressed in a seductive red dress, and a gold tiara.
"It's really starting to get busy out there" warned Layla.
"It always is. An event like this always draws out the people. It's a great way to earn money" replied Esmeralda.
"Yeah. We should be able to eat well for the next few weeks"
"Yes. But I don't want you to steal anything today. You know how I feel about it. Stealimg is not necessary"
"But most people already think we a criminals"
"Exactly. We don't need to confirm their beliefs. Promise me you will behave"
"Fine. I won't steal anything today, I promise".

Once Clopin started to sing, Esmeralda went behind a curtain and began to change into her costume.
"I would feel a lot better about today, if there were no soldiers" shouted Layla, over the roar of the crowd.
"Me too. But they have to keep the peace, in case things get too out of hand" replied Esmeralda.
"I know that. But I still don't see why Frollo has to come? It's not like he enjoys it anyway. He makes me nervous"
"You let me worry about him"
"If you say so".

Suddenly the tent door opened and a figure fell in, pulling down the curtain Esmeralda was changing behind.
"Hey!" She shouted.
Layla threw Esmeralda a green dressing gown, to cover herself with, as the man began to utter an apology.
"I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to... I mean I fell, and I..." he stuttered.
Esmeralda bent down to his level, and put her hand on his back.
"It's alright. You didn't hurt yourself did you?" She asked.
The man tried to hide his face with his hood, but Esmeralda placed both her hands onto his face.
"Looks like everythings fine" she continued.
Layla cringed at his face at first, his mask was scarely realistic, and she had no doubt that he would win the competition.
"Just try to be more careful next time" suggested Esmeralda as she showed the man the way out.
"Thank you. I will" replied the man.
"Good. Oh, and by the way. Great mask" she complimented.

"I forgot how crazy the festival can get" admitted Layla, once the strange man had gone.
"Yes. I think each one is bigger than the last. Clopin has really outdone himself this year" agreed Esmeralda.
"You'd better hurry up and get changed, otherwise you're going to miss your cue"
"Don't worry, I'll make it"
"Clopin would kill you if you weren't underneath the trap door in time"
"Yes, it wouldn't look like magic, if I missed my cue, and the smoke had already cleared when I climb up onto the stage. But don't worry, I'm a quick changer".