7- Man Hunt

Layla and Esmeralda were preparing to leave, later that day, and make money, when Clopin came running towards them.
"I don't think you should go out today" he admitted, once he reached them.
"Why not?" Questioned Layla.
"Frollo has started a man hunt. He wants Esmeralda, alive. He's started breaking into homes and shops. Offering a reward for anyone who knows where she is" he answered.
Esmeralda frowned. "A reward?".
"Yes. It was 2 pieces of silver earlier this morning. But it's gone up to 5 pieces. I think it will keep getting higher, until he finds you" replied Clopin.

Layla squeezed Esmeralda's hand reassuringly. "It won't last forever. He will give up eventually".
"I'm not sure they will be any of Paris left by then" confessed Clopin.
"What do you mean?" Quizzed Esmeralda.
"Paris is burning. Frollo's been setting homes on fire" he replied.
Layla raised her hand to her burnt face instinctively, causing Esmeralda to turn and face her. She threw her arms around Layla and held her close.
"It's going to be O.K. I'm not going to let you get hurt" she promised.
She then turned back to Clopin.
"No one will turn me in will they?" She questioned.
Clopin shook his head. "No they won't. Which is why Frollo's hunt for gypsies has increased. He's begun arresting more and more people. Hoping that they will crack under pressure, and reveal your location".

"Then maybe it isn't safe for me to stay here. This is the only place we have that is secure, and I don't want to put people in danger by being here" said Esmeralda sadly.
"You can't leave, it's not safe. No one will reveal this location. This is our one safe place, and I trust everyone who knows about it. The Court of Miracles is our sanctuary, it's our home. No gypsy would put others at risk, by telling Frollo about it"  reassured Clopin.
"I don't want people to suffer because of me"
"It's not your fault. It's Frollo's. No one blames you for this"
"But people are being hurt, for protecting me. And that isn't right"
"Layla is right. This won't last forever. We just have to wait for this to blow over. And until then you should only leave the catacombs, if you're in disguise".

"What about me?" Layla questioned.
"You should probably stay hidden as well. Frollo saw you on the stage beside Esmeralda, he knows that you two are close, and he could use you as bait" Clopin answered.
Esmeralda nodded. "He's right... I'm too dangerous to be around at the moment, you should keep your distance from me".
"No! I don't care about the risk. You're my sister, and I belong at your side" shouted Layla.
"But I'd be putting you in danger Layla"
"I don't care. If you go out, then I want to come too. I don't want you leaving me behind"
"You are so stubborn"
"I wonder who I learned that from".

Esmeralda ruffled Layla's hair and smiled.
"I guess I am a bad influence".
Layla smoothed her hair back down and stuck out her toungue. Esmeralda shook her head, and turned back to Clopin.
"Are you going to let more people down here?" Esmeralda asked him.
He sighed and shrugged. "I guess I'm going to have to. A lot of people don't like living underground though. I admit that it's not the most pleasant of places. But it is safe... I'm going to try and keep us all safe, and if that means letting all the gyspies in Paris live here, then that is what I will do".

Esmeralda clasped his hand fondly. "You really care about us all, don't you".
"I try" replied Clopin.
"Can I talk to you alone for a moment?".
Clopin nodded, and Esmeralda dettatched herself from Layla. They walked down the tunnel, and stopped a few metres away, so that Layla was out of ear-shot.
"What is it?" Asked Clopin.
Esmeralda looked over at Layla, who was sitting on her bed, braiding her hair.
"Look after her won't you. I mean it. If anything happens to me, I want you to promise that you will watch out for her" she begged.
Clopin turned around and looked at Layla, before nodding.
"I promise. But that doesn't give you the right to take risks and be reckless" he replied.
Esmeralda smiled. "Don't worry about me. I'll be careful".