Chapter 31

"Ye are carrying a child, my dear."
Lyra's eyes widened. "What?"
"Ye are to be a mother."
"What?"
Kaede knitted her brows together. "Ye are pregnant."
"What?"
"How many ways is there to say it?" Kaede said, growing frustrated. "When a man and a woman love each other they-"
"No, no, no. Please..." Lyra quickly stopped her. That was the last thing she needed to hear from Kaede. "I know. I understand. It's just..." She breathed out as she processed the news before looking at the old lady. "I mean, a-are you sure?"
"I have never been so sure, my dear."
"But how do you know?" Obviously being brought up in a world with medical equipment, she couldn't understand how Kaede knew without any devices.
Kaede smiled. "I have been alive long enough to see the signs."

Lyra breathed out. She didn't know whether to be happy or not. Of course she absolutely delighted and she couldn't wait to tell Sesshomaru. But she didn't know what his reaction would be. With Naraku and the Band of Seven still out there, he was going to become even more protective now that she was carrying his child. He had always said he wanted a family but was it the right time?

"Did ye have not a clue?" Kaede asked, pulling her out of her thoughts.
Lyra shook her head. "Not really. Things were starting to smell and taste different. But so much has happened over the last few days that I never had the chance to think about it."
Kaede gave a single nod. "Aye. I was informed about the Shapeshifter. Perhaps ye will was strengthened against him due to the child inside."
"Do you really think so?" she asked.
"Aye. They say the unborn child protects the mother just as the mother protects the child."
"Wow," she awed placing her hand over her stomach.

Just then, Sesshomaru entered the hut carrying some herbs in his hand. He was pleased to see that Lyra was awake and handed the herbs to Kaede.

"Aye, this will do nicely. I shall leave ye alone whilst I prepare the medicine."

With that, she left. Lyra knew she was giving her the opportunity to tell Sesshomaru the news. He walked over to her before sitting down. She smiled as he gently raked her hair back with his fingers.

"How do you fare, Lyra?" he asked.
She leaned into his hand as he cupped her cheek. "Very well. I'm sorry if I frightened you."
"I wondered if that creep did something to you, however the old lady informed me that you were simply lacking in food and rest," he told her.
"Those past few days had been the most scariest moment of my life. Apparently Naraku had sent him. He..." She closed her eyes. "He did things to me that I wish to forget. All I want is to forget his slimy touch from my skin."
Sesshomaru frowned. "What did he do?"
"He kept kissing me and touching me. But I confess that I acted to his wishes..." she confessed, lowering her head in shame. "If I didn't comply, he would have killed me."
He held her chin and lifted her head back up. "I know you would never willingly do anything such. You had to keep yourself alive."
She looked at him and frowned softly. "I was about ready to allow him to kill me. It came to a point where I would rather have died," she admitted as her eyes filled with tears. "If you hadn't arrived in time, he would have done the unspeakable."

Sesshomaru knew what she was speaking of. That would have been something she wouldn't allow to happen even if it did get her killed in the process. If he hadn't reached her in time, he didn't know what he would have done. He wiped her tears away as they fell before she leaned against him. He held her close. Lyra had been through a lot and to learn Naraku sent him had made him rethink everything. Naraku knew how much Lyra meant to him and was targeting her to keep him away. If Itachi wasn't in the picture, Sesshomaru would have reached Mount Hakurei. Now Naraku must have recovered his strength. Sesshomaru concluded that he would take Lyra back to the castle. She would probably become upset but that was something he was going to have to deal with. But he wasn't going to tell her straight away. He would wait until night fell.