Chapter 11

Once Lyra packed all her things and gifts into a backpack, she said her goodbyes to Renji before making her way to Kagome's house. The journey was long but she was glad the day had come where she could return to the past. The bracelet Kanda gave her still glistened on her wrist. Due to the fact it was so expensive, she didn't want to just leave it in her room or anywhere. It was the safest with her. She knew Sesshomaru would question it but she was going to tell him everything anyway.

It took her a few hours to arrive at the Higurashi house. After taking in all the things she had packed, she settled herself in Kagome's room. She asked her aunt if she could use her kitchen so she could make food for Sesshomaru. She didn't know what he would like to eat so she played it safe. Starting with donburi, she packed it away into a container before making some onigiri. She stuck with just those two dishes for the time being but she made large portions of each. That way she would know if Sesshomaru enjoyed them and next time, she could make different things.

Kagome soon entered the kitchen and leant against the counter. "Who's all this for?"
Lyra was concentrating too much on the food that she blurted out, "Sesshomaru."
"Sesshomaru?" Kagome asked in surprise.
Lyra closed her eyes tightly and mentally kicked herself for her own stupidity. "Well...it's for Sesshomaru, Rin and Jaken." She smiled and laughed awkwardly.
Kagome knew Lyra enough to know something was up. "Is there anything you want to tell me?"
Lyra packed the last container and looked at her cousin. "I'll tell you everything in your room tonight."
"Let's go now!"

Kagome impatiently pulled Lyra along with her up the stairs and into her room before locking the door. She made Lyra sit down before placing herself opposite her, awaiting for her to spill all the gossip. Lyra sighed and told her everything from the beginning, starting with how the confession came about to the marriage pact with Kanda.

"Kagome, you have to promise you won't tell anyone about Sesshomaru. Not even Inuyasha," she pleaded.
"I promise," Kagome spoke truthfully. "But Sesshomaru? Lyra, do you honestly believe he loves you. He hates humans."
Lyra leaned back against the wall and shrugged. "That's what I thought but I can see it in his eyes. And I've fallen for him too."
"And this Kanda guy? What are you going to do about him?"
"I don't know." She sighed and looked at the bracelet on her wrist. "I've seen a couple of visions but any way I see it, I'm always at the alter with Kanda."
Kagome frowned softly. "So, maybe Sesshomaru isn't the one..."
Lyra shook her head. "I saw a future with him when I was sleeping."
"Maybe it was just a dream," she replied with a sad tone.
Lyra breathed out deeply. "Maybe it was..."

***

After speaking with Kagome, Lyra couldn't sleep at all. What she had told her made sense. Perhaps her vision with Sesshomaru was just a dream after all. As she lay awake in her makeshift bed on the floor, an idea came to mind. If she told her father she was in love with someone else, then maybe he would call off the whole pact. She tried to envision the future with that circumstance played into it, but for some reason her power wasn't working.

'Stupid powers.'

Once morning arrived, they had their breakfasts and decided to set off down the well. She decided to leave her phone with her aunt in case it broke again but before she did, she needed to make one last phone call. Standing at the side of the well in the shrine, she dialled her father.

"Hello, Lyra. Are you ready to go?" came Renji's voice.
"Yeah. Dad, there's something I need to tell you," she spoke hesitantly as Kagome watched her.
"What is it?"
Lyra sighed deeply. "I can't marry Kanda. I'm sorry."
Renji fell silent for a short while before he spoke again slowly. "Why not?"
"Because I'm in love with Sesshomaru."

Lyra didn't know if she had made the right choice or a really bad mistake but she wouldn't know unless she did it. The worst thing that could happen was her vision of marrying Kanda would remain the same.