Chapter 30

Itachi couldn't believe it. Lyra had managed to free herself. It was something that had never happened before. No other woman had been able to willingly escape his control.

"But how is this possible?!" he growled, clenching his fists and glaring at her. "I had you!"
Lyra shook her head. "You never had me. I admit that you did manage to get into my head before. And..." She lowered her head a little and clutched onto Sesshomaru's sleeve. "I said some horrible things that I regret. You hurt me, Itachi." Her brows furrowed together in anger before looking at him again. "I was never under your control because I'm stronger than you. This morning when I went out for 'a walk'," she added quotation marks. "I left your barrier and left a signal for Sesshomaru to find me." She turned to Sesshomaru again and smiled. "I knew it would work."

Sesshomaru couldn't help but feel proud of her. Since from when he had first met her to that moment, she hadn't changed. She had grown.

Having known most about Shapeshifters, Miroku was impressed. "Lyra's will must truly be strong to have not succumbed to his power. It is incredible."
"It's amazing," Sango responded with awe.
"All I want to know is how to kill the freak," Inuyasha said.
"Shapeshifters are neither human nor demon," Miroku informed. "They cannot be killed so easily or purified."
"Just great."

Itachi only grew more angered. The fact that Lyra had been able to free herself was one thing. And then to completely fool him into thinking he had won was too much for him.

Itachi yelled, causing her and Sesshomaru to look at him. "How dare you make a fool out of me! You wench!" he growled. "I should have impregnated you when I had the chance."
That was the final straw for Sesshomaru. "Hold your tongue. It's time to face your death," he threatened with an angered glare.
"Is that so?" Itachi smirked. "I'd like to see you try."

That's when Lyra remembered what Itachi had told her. 'There is only one way to kill a Shapeshifter...' He had never completed his explanation. She tried to get him to finish and tell her how to kill a Shapeshifter but he was clearly clever enough not to say anything more. She turned to face Sesshomaru.

"You can't use Tokijin to kill him or else he'll absorb you into his flesh," she warned him. "It won't work."
"She's right," Miroku confirmed. "There's only one way to kill him."
Inuyasha stepped forward and clenched his first. "How?! I'm ready to smack that smug look off his face!"
Jaken jumped up, holding his staff. "Lord Sesshomaru will be able to kill him!"

Itachi was feeling smug and it showed on his expression. They could cut him to pieces, crush him and burn him, but that still wouldn't be enough to end him. Not even Sesshomaru could do it without knowing how.

Itachi began chuckling evilly. "Choose your target."

Suddenly, there was a huge gust of wind. A strong tornado formed around Itachi and instantly pulled Lyra into it. She let out a scream as she got sucked into the twisting winds. Sesshomaru had tried to grab her but was too late. He widened the stance of his feet to grip himself to the ground, the winds blowing back his hair and mokomoko. Kagome and the others shielded their eyes as the winds blew dust in their direction. Sesshomaru scowled angrily and put his hand into the tornado to pull Lyra back out. However, the winds felt like blades against his arm, forcing him back as his skin was left with hundreds of small cuts. Due to his high speed regeneration, the cuts quickly healed. He was about ready to go back in to try again but the tornado had died down.

Left standing in front of him was Lyra, completely unscathed. But next to her stood another Lyra. Both were completely identical right down to their scent. Sesshomaru's eyes widened and gasps of shock could be heard from the others standing behind him. Not even he could tell the difference between them. He didn't know which one was his Lyra and which was the Shapeshifter. The two Lyras looked at each other and both shared the same stunned reaction on their faces.