Chapter 42 - Catches more flies with honey

Start from the beginning

Two things Manai Yume are most uncomfortable around: masses and noises.

The young girl feels herself getting dizzy already. She has expected the situation, of course, but it didn't prepare her enough for this. Being aware of and actually confronting the sources of one's discomfort is nothing alike. Wherever she looks, people are there, pulling along their suitcases, children running, people on phones, talking, whispering, laughing, frowning. They are doing their things.

Yume has never likes public area, too much of those two things she dislikes. The first time she came to Tokyo, she took the shinkansen. It's more expensive but more orderly. Noting that she needs to check in for her flight soon, she shelves away her discomfort and locks them away. She will deal with it later. The brunette trudges along her suitcase towards the check-in counter she is supposed to be.

Everyone around her is obviously busy with their own activities, but the brunette can't help the feeling of numerous stares on her person, as if they are trying to tell her something. The noises don't help but worsen the situation, she feels like they are trying to swallow her whole, drowning her unheard. This anxiety is definitely her own imagination, nothing at all factual.

But Manai Yume can't help her feelings.

It's been hard to cast away her anxieties of people since that day when she was younger and happier, ignorant and oblivious. That incident taught her to be conscious of someone's feelings, their thoughts and the actions they would take when they were both emotional and rational. Because had she known that then, things would be so much better and many wouldn't be the same.

But the matter of ifs are nothing certain and when it comes to past events, little could be done. The best the young brunette can do now is to live her life remembering the every bit of lessons, big or small to help her avoid anymore regrets.

It doesn't take long for her to find the check-in counter for her flight. The brunette would have gone over directly to get her business done if not for the large gathering before the desk. It appears that the group is travelling together, thus the crowd. The sheer number of them almost caused her to backtrack. It doesn't matter even if most of the individuals there are around her age.

They are young. Almost like... students.

A sudden chill rises along her spine, making the brunette unable to avoid a shiver. Yume feels like something is coming, she isn't sure if it's a good or a bad thing. Surely, she isn't that unlucky?

It must be the crowds, she tries to convince herself.

"Ah!" A somewhat familiar high-pitched voice exclaims from somewhere in the group.

That voice attracts the attention of many, mostly towards the person who shouts. Including the brunette's gaze. The first thing her mind registers is the familiar peachpink coloured head, then as her limegreen eyes trails down from the head to the face to see a pair of sparkling peachpink eyes filled with delights, her mind automatically comes up with a name: Momoi Satsuki.

Unbeknownst to the brunette, the moment she recognises the pinkette is the moment her reluctance to approach the group perished. Even her awareness towards the surrounding crowds and noises diminished to nothing.

But then of course the situation is too good to be true. Because the insensitive childhood friend of the girl soon notices the brunette standing not very far from the group. And so, faced with the brunette's carefully blank expression, he shoots her a wide, carefree grin and a hand wave.