Chapter 41 - When the water starts boiling it is foolish to turn off the heat

A big thank-you for those still reading this fic! It's been more than a year, so I really thought no one would have posted a comment. I have several chapters ahead already planned, just need to hammer out the timeline so that it aligns with the original KnB. I will try to post the next chapter in five days!

I'm still accepting suggestions on future 'interactions' and 'moments' between the characters in this fic. I will reply to any of suggestions made and how I think of it! I won't reject anything that sounds plausible, so no worries there~

Pairings : Undecided
Warnings : Teikō Middle School Days.
Disclaimer : I own only the OCs.

-------------------
Chapter 41 - When the water starts boiling it is foolish to turn off the heat

It is another Saturday for Kawahara Haruki as he sits behind the cashier waiting for customers who have books in their arms chosen from the wide range of selections he has in his bookstore for him to scan and settle the transaction. Haruki loves his job, he has always loved reading books. Being surrounded by them and having connections to get his hands on the newest sets when they're published filled him with immense joy and pleasure. With a book in his hands, he can possibly sit for hours on end.

Which is possibly the reason why it took him three hours into the shift to notice his capable part-timer is in a daze so unlike her usual self. The difference is subtle but he should have noticed anyway. After all, for all the months since he employed this particular student, the girl is never unfocused and always strives to show a good work performance in her quiet, reserved way without making too much noise knowing how he loves his reading time.

Curious, Haruki places down the book on his lap and pushes up his glasses as he scrutinises his part-timer. The girl is in a daze, yes. There's almost a silly, dreamy look in her gaze too. It's obvious her mind is wandering elsewhere unknown. And is that the slightest indication of red he sees brushing her fair cheeks? Well now, isn't that a surprise? There's only one conclusion he can pick out of all these observation points!

"Yume-chan? There's a boy you fancy?" Haruki inquires in that obnoxious way only an adult can towards a youngster, a crooked grin marring his expression.

It must be known that in the periods since hiring the girl, Haruki has noticed that the brunette pays little attention to anything other than her work and studies. The poor girl only started talking of her friends recently too. There's definitely almost no interest in the girl for a boyfriend. So this dazed-act of hers that's very much like someone in love filled him with so much curiosity.

"H-Huh? E—Eh?!" the brunette stumbles out of her stupor in a fluster. It takes her quite a time to orient herself and process the line of questioning her employer just said.

A boy she fancies?! Just how did Kawahara-san come to that kind of misunderstanding?! Was it something she did?

"There isn't!" she denies hotly, the red on her cheeks glaringly obvious. "I was only thinking of a match, a basketball match! The one I went to this morning!"

Following her promise to Momoi as well as her own interest in the subject, Yume goes to watch the basketball boys before she comes in for work in the afternoon. It's the preliminary match apparently and the boys are playing out all their pent-up energy on the court, this statement rings especially true for a certain basketball-mania who initially thought he wouldn't be able to participate in the match.