thirty

Aliza's PoV

I woke up on the dirty, hard floor but with a new sense of determination. After my breakdown yesterday, I had decided I needed to stay strong if I was going to get through whatever they were going to throw at me and find a way to get out of here but still burn the place down to the ground. Right now I didn't even know where to start.

Maybe with what I can only say is my handler. He's been stationed outside my glass since I'd awaken. He sat there with a bored expression on his face and every so often he would rub the tiredness out of his eyes. That's when I noticed that he was wearing a smart watch too. Well, at least this place is up to date with their technology. It still took Steve longer than it should to bring up the snapchat filters. I felt my heart drop as I thought about Steve. I quickly pushed the thought out of my mind because I knew if I thought about him any longer, I would crawl back into my hole and wallow.

I walked forward and sat down right at the edge of the glass so I was right opposite him. His eyebrows raised a little bit but his hard expression soon made an appearance back on his face. I tilted my head, trying to gauge what he was thinking but he really wasn't letting anything change that face.

"You don't talk much do you?" I asked.

Nothing.

"I'm really trying not to take this personally, but you're not helping the situation."

"If you're going to sit there silently at least take that look off your face. You look like you want to kill me and then yourself."

"You know, you kind of look like someone I've seen before. That movie actor, oh what's his name? Oh yeah! Will Ferrel!"

He furrowed his eyebrows in confusion and I smirked, knowing I was reeling him in. "Yeah, the hair, the eyes. He's so funny. You ever see Anchorman? God, that movie killed me!"

He deadpanned at me, obviously not softening even a little bit. "God, you certainly don't have his sense of humour."

"Kid, you're starting to annoy me so how about you shut it?" He mumbled before rubbing his shoulder and groaning his pain.

"What's wrong with your shoulder?" I questioned.

He looked at me warily before finally answering. "I threw it out when I was trying to hold someone down. The guy is too strong for his own good." He mumbled the last part obviously not thinking I heard.

"If you want, I can help you." I suggested.

He laughed out in amusement. "If you think I'm going to let you out, you're even dumber than everyone thinks."

I rolled my eyes trying not to be offended. "I can help you without moving an inch, now do you want my help or not?"

He squinted his eyes at me obviously suspicious of my intentions but I held my ground. I need him to trust me if my plan is going to work.

"Fine. Tell me."

"Alright, take your suit jacket off first, you won't be able to reach if it's still on." He did as he was told and placed it on the back of his chair. I proceeded to tell him how to use acupressure to relieve the tension in his shoulder. I watched as he sat amazed.

"That actually helped. Thank you."

"No problem." I mumbled as I played with my shoe laces. I looked up at the man and he had a small smile on his face. He looked around a little bit before speaking in a hushed tone.

"My wife and I love Will Ferrel."

I genuinely smiled for the first time since I've been in here. He cleared his throat and resumed his previous cold expression but that right there is what you call progress. Maybe, I CAN get out of here.