six

Aliza's PoV

When I woke up to an insistent alarm, it was like there was a pounding in my head and my back felt extremely stiff. There was also a painful feeling erupting from one of my limbs.
Once I had peeled my eyes open I realised why. There was a piece of glass the size of my toe stuck in the palm of my hand.

"Fuck." I winced while taking it out. It hurt like a bitch but my hand wasn't the only thing that was hurting. I didn't know what to do now. I basically just blew up any chance I had of being civil with Sharon, and Steve probably hates me for it too. He was a nice guy, and I should have known that unstable girls like me don't get to be friends with nice guys like him.

I had bandaged my hand up and finally decided to get up and get ready for work. Just as I was stepping foot out my door, Steve's door swung open. He stood there in a white t shirt and beige coloured trousers. He looked good. But I just looked down and continued locking my door. I tried to swiftly turn around and make my descent down the stairs but I came in contact with a brick wall. Sorry, I meant Steve's chest.

"Steve." I tiredly mumbled out. "I have to get to work. Move out of the way, please." I avoided his gaze and just continued looking down at my feet. Steve scoffed before moving his hand to grab my own but I instinctively took a step back. I cursed myself for doing it but old habits die hard.

I tried not to notice the way his face fell and his mouth slightly parted in shock but it was clear as day. He obviously didn't care much because he just tried again, this time successfully grabbing my bandaged hand and brought it up close to his face.

"What happened last night? I heard a smash and then nothing. Don't you know how worried I was?!Seriously, Aliza." I finally looked up to meet his eyes, which were locked on to mine. His eyes were filled with sincerity and it made me want to melt in to his arms right there.

"You have to stop pretending you can go through all of this on your own. I'm here and I'm not going anywhere. You said those same words to me up on that roof but it seems like you can't practise what you preach. Now, are you going to prove me wrong or are you going to continue with this lone soldier act?" He had finally finished and I couldn't help but feel my heart swell at the fact that he still cared. After everything Sharon said last night, I was forced to think back to everything I had gone through up until this point. My parents, my siblings, even my so called friends that ditched me. I had lost anyone I had ever held close to me and I was so sure Steve had taken it all on board and decided like everyone else that I just wasn't worth it.

Guess I was wrong.

Thank god for that.

My eyes filled with tears. "I thought you were gonna hate me." I involuntarily croaked out. He wiped away the tears before they had a chance to fall down my face.

"Hey, I could never hate you."

"Okay?" He had that same stupid boyish grin on his face. I let out a small chuckle as I wiped away my blurry vision.

"Okay."

"Now, you are going to go to work and have a fun day saving lives, and then you are going to come home, get dressed and then I am going to take you out. And no, I am not telling you where. It's a surprise." It was relieving that we could carry on like nothing had happened. I was in a little bit of disbelief but just nodded my head and brought him into the tightest hug I could force myself to give.

"Thank you." I whispered against his chest.

"Don't mention it. Now go, before we both end up playing hooky." He turned my body around towards the entrance to the stairs and slightly pushed me forwards. That was an understatement. He must have thought it was a slight push but it actually sent me almost flying.