sixteen

Aliza's PoV

We reached the jet that Steve had flown in on and I got a lot of weird stares from the crew, presumably because I was the only one walking around like I was going to attend a wedding.

As the bride.

Trying to hide my red face along the way, I scurried along to the toilets and got changed in some clothes Steve luckily had with him. The weight literally lifted off my shoulders. I dumped the clothes in the bin, which surprisingly came with questioning from Steve.

"Why are you throwing it?"

"Because I don't want any reminders of what I left."

The flight back was tedious to say the least. First of all, it wasn't a jet made exactly for comfort. There were very few seats and the walls were covered in screens and hanging weapons. That made it particularly hard to fall asleep because the threat of my head being blown off from one wrong jerk was looming over me. Steve, being the gentleman he was, allowed me to sleep on him. I lay my head on his thighs and fell asleep as he played with my hair.

When I woke up, I was back in my apartment. I was confused for a second before all the memories came rushing back. I looked around and everything was the same. Except for the fact that the mess I had made before I left had been cleaned up. I crawled out of my warm bed and wandered over to my wire frame that I assumed Steve had hanged back on the wall. With one last look at my old memories, I took off almost every single picture and binned them. The only ones that were left were the ones of Steve and I. Smiling with satisfaction I moved in to the bathroom, ready to take a shower.

Once I was out, I went straight to looking for my phone which after searching for almost 10 minutes ended up being on my dressing table the whole time. There was a note on top of it which was the reason why I didn't notice it in the first place and I was about to throw it away until I realised that there was actually writing on the inside.

"Sorry, I had to go back to work. I'll come and see you later doll. I have someone to introduce you to."

A giddy smile crept up on my lips and I stuck the note in my pocket before I just sat there staring at it all day. I went about my day as I normally would but I just felt anxious. It was halfway through eating my breakfast when I got a sudden urge for change. It was as if my mind just switched on and I gobbled the rest of my cereal down before jumping up and out my apartment. I made my way to the shops and bought loads of food, cleaning supplies and new home decorations. I never bought into the whole feng shui thing but I feel like I'm still on edge because of everything being the same in my apartment and after everything that's happened I couldn't help but think that it would always going to be a reminder of those times.

I raced home with my many shopping bags and planted them on my carpet. And from there, my busy day was set into motion. I rearranged my kitchen and packed all the groceries away, making a mental note to myself that I needed to cook something for later. I changed the layout of my living room, making it much more spacious than before. I replaced the dark blue cushions with grey and yellow ones which made me feel 10x better already. It was like my life was slowly lighting up just like the colour scheme of my home. Next was my bedroom. I moved almost everything around and put up all the new decorations I had just bought. But the most important was my panda which sat right in the middle of my bed along with a few fluffy pillows. I stepped back satisfied until I remembered dinner. And I still had the bathroom to do. I checked the time and saw that it was almost 6.

Steve was probably going to be here soon.

I ran around like a maniac, trying to prepare everything in time. On top of all that, the manager of the building dropped me a text asking for the rent I owed, which reminded me that I needed a job. I was halfway through my phone call with a potential future place of employment when I heard a knock of the door. It was a very busy day as I now had to unpack, pay the rent that I missed and find a job. I practically ran there and opened the door without paying much attention to Steve when he stepped inside. He was about to open his mouth but I quickly turned around as I gestured to the phone and ran to back to the lasagne that I was sprinkling cheese on to.