37. She has a very serious problem

Start from the beginning

"Oh, I already knew that. What's the latest with you?" Siddikah was curled up with Planete. As she scratched the top of his head, he kicked his stubby hind legs lazily.

"Planete is back? You were avoiding me, weren't you?" Ursula accused the crocodile.

The monster rolled his eyes and shoved his head against his master's elegant, tapered nails.

"Of course he's back. I'd be so lonely otherwise," Siddikah huffed.

"Spare me. Leave the crocodile tears to Planete for once." Ursula settled into an adjacent pile of cushions. "Where did that skeleton come from?"

"I had that delivered. Called in some favors to have it moved here."

"What's it for?"

Siddikah smiled mysteriously. "Should we tell her, Planete?"

The dinosaur sighed. Ursula sighed louder.

"Well?"

"It's for you, squidlet."

Ursula crossed her arms. "I live in the palace. I'm there to stay."

"It's just here in case you need it. I know the Queen irritates you so."

"Ha! If one of us is leaving, it's her. I'm not going anywhere."

"Very well, minnow. What can I do for you?"

Ursula described her dreams, and her frustration with the silent memories that had been plaguing her for months. "How can I hear what Ganeon and Nepp are saying to me?" she concluded. "I know they are trying to tell me something."

"Hmm." Siddikah began to pace around the room. "Do you wear your nautilus at night?"

"Of course. I wear it all the time now," Ursula said proudly. "I refuse to hide it ever again."

"That pendant must be full of voices by now. I suggest shutting it away at night. Put it in a soundproof box, and see if that doesn't allow these voices in your dreams to come through."

"I hate taking it off."

"Just try it, you stubborn clownfish."

"You're the clownfish," Ursula laughed. "Wasting your time with whale bones."

"It's not a whale," Siddikah said as she ushered Ursula out. "And you should know by now...I never waste my time."

"Then what is it?"

"A leviathan."

"I thought this thing was a leviathan. That's what I've always called it...that's what everyone calls it!" Ursula exclaimed as she motioned to the entrance of Siddikah's abode. They were just outside its jaws now, bathed in the red light that streamed eternally from the gaping mouth.

"This is a hydra. Well, part of one. Which just proves..." Siddikah pulled her into a motherly embrace. "...what a clownfish you are." The Squid Witch pecked Ursula's cheek. "Come back soon."

***

It took less than a week for Siddikah's suggestion to deliver results. There she was at the coronation feast again with a drunken Prince Ganeon. It was the same dreamscape as always, so very real. But this time the din faded. Just think how much easier Father could have made our lives by putting his wishes in writing, Ganeon was saying. Then he threw his head back, emptying a goblet of cordial.

The next scene followed as it always did. King Nepp was sitting up in his sick bed, talking to Ursula. She focused on his lips. His words grew in volume, bit by bit. ...foreign kingdom, you know. And because of that, Atlantica ceased to be safe haven for magical merfolk for short periods. Rather short periods. And the last time was a very long time ago." Nepp smiled and faded into the blackness.

Ursula awoke with a strangled cry. Both memories were crystal clear now. She slapped the flesh-and-blood Ganeon slumbering beside her. He awoke with a groan. "What's wrong?" he asked.

"Get up, you idiot!" she hissed.

"What's wrong?!" he repeated, alarmed.

"What do you know about signing a kingdom over?"

"What?" Ganeon rubbed his eyes with his palms.

"In Atlantica, can a king appoint someone who is not an immediate successor to take his place? Does this happen through written directive?"

"Technically? Yes. Though it never happens."

"Never?" Ursula snapped.

"Yes, almost never." Ganeon was sitting up now.

"Almost? ALMOST?! Ganeon, you fool! You've wasted so much of our time!"

"I--I don't understand."

"My dreams! About Marielle getting Triton to sign seven scrolls? She's going to trick him and put herself in the throne! What's the use of all your historical knowledge when you're as blind an imbecile as your mother!?"

"Dear heart, calm down. Remember that we are on the same side. Let's discuss this--"

"I'm not wasting another second with you!" Ursula flung open the bedchamber doors." Get up and be useful for once! Go find out everything you can about this path to the throne. Now!" she screamed.

The High Priestess flew about the room in a rage, ripping at her hair. She burst onto her balcony and glared at the temple, which had become a deep purple during her tenure. Peering down into the coral labyrinth, she spotted her familiars. The eels torpedoed toward her.

"You're coming indoors today, my pets," she whispered. "We're going to find some hiding places for you. Places where you can be my eyes and ears."