Moon phases

The moon goes through four phases each lunar cycle. The total cycle is 29.5 days. The phases are:

New moon: the new moon is best for spells relating to beginning new things. If you plan to do a multi-day spell with a positive goal in mind, then you could start on the new moon and work forwards.
Waxing moon: the moon waxes from the new moon to the full moon. The waxing moon is a period of growth and newness. Cast spells to attract, create, inspire or produce.
Full moon: the full moon is the most magical night of the month. Its energy can be used for love, knowledge, protection, prosperity, divination and numerous other goals. Witches celebrate the full moon with a ritual known as esbat, which honours the goddess.
Waning moon: the moon wanes from the full moon to the dark moon. The waning moon is a period of dying off. Cast spells to remove, banish or release.

The moon phase can easily be observed from this site: www.timeanddate.com/moon/phases/

(I've added that link as the External Link for this part)

Dark moon

Some witches work with the dark moon in addition to the moon phases. Some consider it to be another name for the new moon. Others consider it to be the last three days before the new lunar cycle begins. In their view, the new moon occurs at the moment when the sun and the moon are conjunct (aligned on the same side of the earth, so that the side of the moon usually visible from earth is not illuminated by the sun), this is the scientific new moon.

Others believe that the dark moon continues until the first crescent of the moon is visible, when it becomes the new moon; this is known as the astrological new moon, whereas the scientific new moon is considered the peak of the dark moon.

Moon names

Historically, each moon of the year has had a name. The names vary, depending on the natural cycle and traditions of the local culture. Most common example:

 Most common example:

Drawing Down the Moon

In Wiccan traditions it is common to conduct "drawing down the moon" rituals. These are typically performed on a full moon and involve invoking some of the moon's energy for enhancing your connection with the Goddess, lunar deities, or just lunar energy. This lunar connection can be used for self-cleansing, receiving messages & blessings, honouring & revering nature, and empowering spells (amongst other things).

Occasionally drawing down the moon ceremonies can be used to channel the Goddess or lunar deities, where a witch (typically the priest/ess of a coven) can allow the Goddess/a lunar deity to speak through them to deliver words of wisdom or blessings.

Simple Drawing Down the Moon Technique: Sit quietly and visualize the Full Moon above you. Mentally bring the Moon down to each of your body centers, visualizing each one glowing with the Moons light. Concentrate on each center for at least a minute before moving on to the next.

Source: www.spellsofmagic.com/coven_ritual.html?ritual=1267&coven=595

Simple Full Moon Esbat Ritual (no tools required)

Many times we find ourselves away from our Coven, Temple, Altar and home when the Moon becomes full. We think that it would be wonderful to do a little Ritual in honor of the Moon, but have no tools, candles, incense etc. The magick is within you and the power of visualization is the vehicle of transportation.

All you need is you and a view of the Full Moon. Preferably standing outside (but if its cold and raining you can gaze through a window) make sure that you have a wonderful view of the Full Moon.

Allow the Moons rays to envelope you, take your time, and appreciate the feel of the Moonlight on your skin. If you wish, you may imagine the Moonlight completely encircling you, protecting you with loving energy. You have cast a Magick Circle.

You may wish to consider the power of the Full Moon, the tide is strongly attuned to positive manifestation and to increase and gain. What do you wish to manifest in the next month? Take your time, allow the spirit of the Moon Goddess to fill you. Feel Her Power and Presence within your mind, your spirit, and your emotions. You have Drawn Down the Moon.

When you are finished communing with the Goddess, thank her in your own words, either silently or out loud, for Blessing you with Her presence. Kiss the back of your power hand three times, and then extend your hand to the Moon as a gesture of love and gratitude.

Source: www.spellsofmagic.com/spells/spiritual_spells/power_spells/18521/page.html

First published: Jun 2018
Last updated: Jul 2023