Chapter 29

Rose's POV

"I can't believe you talked me into this," Michael sighed. He had managed to get me through security, though the Hunters doubted that I was allowed in here. Fort Pax was massive. It was pretty much a close off part of the beach surrounded by a wall. There were multiple buildings, and Michael walked straight towards the smallest one. Funny, I would expect them to keep it in the larger building. Then again, that's what others expect, too.

He led me down to where they kept vampires that were soon to be put to death. There isn't a prison in the Vampire Domain. You try something stupid, someone will glad knock the sense back into you. In extreme cases, you die on the spot or are brought here to be interrogated. According to Michael, usually those interrogated have their mind erased or are put to death. This area is top secret.

The stairs, walls, and ceiling were strangely pure white. There was no other color. He led me down a spiral staircase, leading down to another hallway. There was a row of metal doors, each with a keypad. A green lightbulb twinkled over each door. Michael walked down to the far end of the hallway, stopping at the last door.

Michael unlocked the door, backing up as the light on the side of the door turned red. "It's not too late to change your mind, you know. Killing her is more of a blessing than a punishment to her."

"I know," I said. "You're not changing my mind."

"Maybe she will," he said quietly, opening the door. He didn't follow me as I silently walked in, closing the door behind me.

There was worn-down padding on the walls and floor. Rylee was hunched in the corner of the cold room wearing a baggy, light blue jumpsuit. She didn't turn around, but I could tell by how frail she was that they weren't feeding her anything but blood. Vampires can survive on just blood, but if they don't eat normal food, they'll be barely alive. Starvation of normal food doesn't kill us. Rylee was a perfect example of this.

"Rose, what a pleasure! You finally decided to visit. Let me guess, you figured out Sir Albert's little secret," she said, sounding surprisingly cheerful despite the conditions she was in. Without even seeing me, she knew who I was.

"So you know about him," I replied, slowly pulling out my dagger out of holster around my waist, playing with the handle. I had felt so confident about killing her before, but now, I wasn't so sure.

"I've had other visitors besides you."

"So you know why I'm here."

"Yes, and so do other people," she said, turning to face me and sneering. Without all of her makeup that she used to plaster on, her face showed her true evil colors that I was blind to five years ago. I've never wanted to kill someone more in my life.

"Drop the knife and turn around slowly," someone said behind me. The click of a gun being taken off of safety was a good warning that I should probably listen.

I didn't drop my knife, but I did turn. I was met with three men with guns pointed at me from every angle. At the door, Sir George was sneering, not even bothering to take out his gun. "Hello, Ms. White."

I rolled my eyes. "How'd you know I was here?" I groaned like a kid. I really didn't care what this guy thought of me at this point.

"Your presence in Fort Pax doesn't go unnoticed," he replied. "And I see you've finally figured out your position here."

"My position here?" I said, baffled.

"Of course, you've been backed into a corner. You knew it was inevitable the moment you stepped foot in the Vampire Domain. It seems to me like you think killing her is the best way to escape," Sir George explained.