Chapter Fourteen: News Flash

I unlocked the apartment door and opened it, slowly.

It was quiet, Jack must be asleep.

I went to my room and looked in the mirror. My face turned pale and I let out a scream.

I quickly covered my mouth and Jack bursted in, "What's wrong?!"

I pointed to my shin, which had turned to nothing but pitch black skin, as seen from my torn leggings.

"What happened to you?" Jack's face turned twice as pale as he already was, if that was even possible.

"I lost track of time and broke out of the library. I ran into Pitch but-"

"Pitch.. Does he know?" Jack asked.

"I-I don't know. He seems suspicious though. Uh, Cupid came right on time and gave me my scythe. I guess I didn't completely dodge that Nightmare.." I said, looking at my leg.

Jack pursed his lips in a fine line and pondered for a bit.

A feminine voice had become audible from the living room.

Jack and I exchanged glances. We both headed to the living room.

"We apologize for interrupting your evening, but shocking footage just came in from a watcher." A lady said, sitting at a desk with a screen behind her.

"Here we see blurry figure dressed in dark clothes flying. People are absolutely shocked and if anyone can capture this creature, there will be a ten thousand dollar reward, so scientist can test this creature to see what exactly it is." A man said, sitting next to the woman.

I quickly grabbed the remote and turned it off.

My face went pale, "That's not very good..."

"At least the person who recorded it did it poorly. You can't even tell what it is." Jack said, trying to make light in the situation.

"What are we going to do about your leg?" Jack asked.

I shrugged, "Probably wear some clothes over it.." I said, observing my leg. "I think I'll be fine though."

----------------------------

Even now, I still wonder if Jack remembered what I said. I turned over on the bed.

"Psh. Of course he remembers.." I mumbled to myself and placed my hand over my eyes.

"That's because I am evil!"

"Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!" I said, smacking my face every time I said Stupid.

I figured it was too soon to contact Cupid.

I hoped those fairies of mine weren't slacking off.

I turned over again, "I can't be in love with the Spirit of Love." I smacked my face again, "He's my best friend..!"

I turned over once again, "What am I doing..? I'm actually talking to myself!"

---------------

"You should listen to me more often," Jack said, smirking.

I rolled my eyes, "You got us lost last time, remember?"

Jack chuckled, "I can learn from mistakes, you know."

Jack opened the front school doors for me.

"I never said you couldn't."