Chapter Eight

Beginne am Anfang

        "Now you hold your ass," Carter put his finger in my face, "I am NOT going to go around accusing my men of fucking murder!"

        "You ever heard of crooked cops?"

        "I have, but I've also seen damn good ones and I'm not going to put more stress on their lives that they don't need," Carter backed away and ran his fingers through his hair.

        I kinda felt bad for him. He knew that's where the conclusion was headed too, but he didn't want to accuse someone who was friend.

        "What about that doctor of yours?" he whispered to me.

        "Him? Nah, doesn't really seem like a guy who could kill. He's a brainiac, not a killer," I responded.

        "Are you absolutely sure about this that it's someone in the station?"

        "It'd make some sense, considering they'd have access to info that a normal person wouldn't."

        "We'll need to get together in my office," Carter noticed someone coming to him from behind me, "Commissioner Warren, I'm glad you could make it through that mess."

        "Ugh, damn these reporters, always clawing for the next ounce of blood," Commissioner Warren looked around, "so, what did you two find out?"

        I looked at Carter for a second. "Not a lot I can add to this one."

        "Oh, why's that?" the commissioner asks.

        "This was one different. The killer put something over her head so that I couldn't see around me. Which leads us to believe..."

        Carter broke in. "Which leads us to believe that the killer knows about Edgar's dreams. That narrows our list down for suspects and it's looking like...," he couldn't finish his sentence.

        "It's looking like the killer might be someone on the force. A crooked fucker, if you pardon my French," I looked at Carter. He looked like he didn't want to accept the conclusion.

        "Gentlemen, are you sure? And I mean sure beyond a reasonable doubt?" he looked at both of us.

        "Sir, if Edgar is confident," Carter looks at me, "... then so am I."

        Wow... Carter basically put his blue ass on the line for me. I don't have a witty retort for this one, he's got fuckin' balls.

        The commissioner nodded his head and gestured for us to come with him. A whole press event was put together. Cameras were flashing everywhere and microphones were bunched up like a bundle of twizzlers. The commissioner was going to be the one speaking. Good for him, I know I couldn't do that crap even if they paid me... in women. Jokes are jokes, relax.

        "We will only be accepting a few questions for now as our crime scene investigators are still investigating the death of Treasurer Windstag," the commissioner spoke.

        "Have the police ruled out murder at this point?" one reporter asked.

        "As of right now, we are treating this is a suicide, possibly due to a medication overdose," Commissioner Warren responded.

        "Is the death of Treasurer Windstag connected with Judge William Barry's?" another asked.

        "At this point, no," the commissioner responded calmly.

        "Was the death connected to the local Anarchist group who's been committing acts of terrorism?" another asked.

        "That group is under heavy investigation, but they are a separate matter from the death of the treasurer," the commissioner finished up, "only one more question for now."