Chapter 2

"What the fuck was that, bitch?!" Bernard spat, with a chokehold on my neck.

"Wha... wha, what was what?" I strained to ask, because I could barely breathe. I looked in his eyes trying to read him, but he looked like a wild animal.

"Babe, tell what the problem is, I'll fix..." My voice trailed, before he knocked spit out of my mouth.

"You like to embarrass me, huh, Yaz?? You were all over the guy as soon as he walked in. Sluts, are what we call h**s like you, Yasmin. 'Oh thank you,'" he said, mimicking me, from the compliment Milton had given me earlier.

"He could've f****d you right then & there if he wanted to. And what the f*** is this you're wearing?!" He yelled, nearly ripping my dress off of me.

I looked up at him with pleading eyes. I prayed silently. Please just let it be over already.

•••••••••

"Wake up, beautiful," I heard a calm voice call out.

I tried to open my eyes, but the sun just made me roll over, and hide under the cover.

"Yazzie, Yazzie, come on Bae, get up." Bernard was right in my ear now. "I have something for you."

"Ok, ok. I'm up," I yawned. Grits eggs & French toast, were all I needed to get to get me going at the crack of dawn. He had made me breakfast in bed. I had syrup, sugar, & salt & pepper on my tray, along with OJ.

"Awwh, thank you baby," I said, with a mouth full.

I always tried to coax B into becoming a chef, but he would never pay me any mind. "That's feminine. I just feel like it's for women, I belong in the gym," he'd always tell me.
This breakfast was light, but the man had skills! He was the one to teach me how to cook. I've been cooking ever since.

"Hurry and finish eating, Yaz." With that, he walked out of the room, & disappeared downstairs.

He was so unpredictable, so I quickly ate and met him downstairs. He was in the kitchen.
"You didn't wash dishes last night, Yaz. I fired Sophie, so can you get it done? Gotdamn" he mumbled, obviously irritated.

How'd he go from making me breakfast and playing, to being irritated so fast?

BERNARD***

"3 sets of 20 push-ups. Come on it ain't hard, man!" I said to my client, whose also getting married next month. He always struggled to get his workout in, and it irritated the heck out of me.

"I'll be right back," I told him, slipping into my office to go numb. I had 4 more clients today, and I hoped they were in better shape than he was.

"Yo, B. What's up, man?" It was Milton.

"Nothing much. Trying to knock out these clients today, so I can get home. My wife says she misses me, man," I said jokingly, rubbing my goatee.

"I don't see why you won't let her work directly from here, B. That would be some cool shit! I gotta get married quick!" Milton smiled and continued, "The gym loves me, but she ain't trying to settle down." We laughed.

Milton was a player, but he claimed it was by force, because he hadn't found The One. Shit, I wish I could trade places with him sometimes.

"The misses likes working from home, and what the misses wants, the misses gets, " I said, raising my hands in the air, defeated.

It was a lie.

Yasmin would love to work here with me in the gym. I had to threaten to break her jaw to get her to stop asking. Stay your ass at home, Yaz. Your man's got this covered.

YASMIN***

"Yasmin Santiago!!!" It was Genesis calling my name on the intercom, letting me know she was outside my home. She was the only one that called me by my maiden name, and she did it just to piss Bernard off. I thought it was hilarious. I finished up in the kitchen and went to let her in.

My bestfriend was so damn beautiful. She was much darker than I, but she stood out, nonetheless. She was naturally curvy, even after my niece, Bailey. Even today in simple clothing, she was beautiful.

She hugged me, and I cringed. The events of last night had me so sore, I nearly cried right there in her arms. "What's wrong?" She asked ,as she stepped back, examining me.

"Cramps," I lied. "So what's up? What brings you by?" I asked her.

"I'm on vacation from the firm, and I wanted to come get my best friend out of the house. If it's not a crime," Genesis sassed me.

I made up something quick. "Oh no, not today, Genesis. I'm behind on all this paperwork, and I promised myself I would get it all caught up before noon."

"Is this the same Yasmin that swore she would make it up to me? Shit, I already had to cancel my trip, and Facebook it out all night. Look at this shit," she said, motioning to her hair.

I started feeling bad all over again.

"Okay, fine. What should I wear? Where are we going?" I gave in, walking upstairs.

"Something similar to this," she said, pointing to her own clothes.

Shit that was easy. Crop top and sweat pants, I had a million. Lets go!

30 minutes later, we walked inside the most spacious gym I had ever been in. I was excited too, because I hadn't been to the gym in nearly 2 years.

GENESIS***

"Hey Lindsey, scan me in. I got a buddy pass for her. This is Yas. Yasmin Crawford."

"Crawford?" Lindsey asked, looking confused.
I rolled my eyes & nodded. She did as she was told, and luckily, Yaz didn't catch the puzzled look on Lindsey's face. Lindsey and Yaz exchanged hellos, and we went and got started.

We were finishing up our 2 mile run when a dismantled, and very guilty looking Bernard, locked eyes with me. He was fixing his clothes, showing a female client out of the gym.

SON OF A BITCH!

"Hey ,Yasmin," he said, in a not so happy tone, when he finally made his way to us. He looked at me sideways, and nodded his head.

All the color drained from my best friend's face. She paused her run and looked around. She was visibly nervous and uncomfortable. He grabbed her arm. "Let's talk in private please."

He looked over his shoulder at me once more, before preceding in his office.

That'll teach Bernard Crawford, that I'm not to be fucked with.

PlEASE VOTE AND COMMENT YOUR THOUGHTS AFTER EACH CHAPTER. Thanks guys, Q.)