Cheers To Us

"This steak is so good!" I say.

"It really is, but I don't know how you could eat it well done," Alice replied.

I chuckle. "I don't know how you could eat it rare."

She shook her head at me. "It's good. Do you want to try some?"

"No, I'm good."

She took a bite of her red steak and I honestly could never eat that. "Suit yourself Ana, but your missing out."

I look over at Alex and he hasn't even touched his plate. He seemed very distracted. Was it because he broke up with Ainsley? Most likely. "You okay Alex?"

He turned to me. "Yeah, I'm fine. I'm just not that hungry."

"Could I get everyone's attention please," a loud feminine voice announced along with the tapping of a champagne glass.

Ainsley's standing up and smiling. Oh no. This can't be good.

"Alex, what is she doing?" I whisper.

"I have no clue."

This is bad news.

"I would just like to say a few words tonight to our lovely couple," Ainsley spoke while staring straight at me. "Alex and I have known each other for many years now. He's been an amazing person towards me and has done so much for me. More than he could ever know. Sometimes he can appear cold, but I know he has such a warm and good heart."

Even I can feel the love she has for Alex.

"Cheers to the happy couple," Ainsley raised her glass.

We all raised our glass to her very surprising toast. I watched as she sat back down and everyone resumed talking. "Wow, that was not what I had expected at all."

"I can't believe she said all those nice things about us," Alex stated.

"Well, she didn't really talk about me but she did say some pretty nice things about you."

"I broke up with her tonight."

"You did?" I tried to sound a bit surprised.

"Yeah, it just wasn't right."

I didn't reply; I didn't know what to say.

"She took it better than I had expected," Alex said.

"Yeah, seems like it."

The rest of night wasn't too bad. But for most of the night, Alex was quiet. I rode home with him in complete and utter silence.

As we entered the penthouse I took off my heels that pained my feet.

"Are you going to move back into my room?" Alex broke the silence.

"Why would I do that?"

"Because I broke up with Ainsley."

I shook my head. "I think it's best if I just stay put."

"Why?"

"Alex you just broke up with Ainsley a few hours ago. And plus it's not appropriate, we're not dating."

"You didn't have a problem with it before."

I glare at him. "I was pretty naive when I first met you Alex. You also threatened to fire me if I didn't do what you asked, but then later on I realized you can't fire me because we have a contract."

He smirked at me. "So you're just here for my money?"

"It's why we have a contract in the first place right?"