Chapter 22 - Full Moon

Chapter 22

Full Moon

    Nicolai’s were-wolf scampered playfully around Jacob and me as we headed further in to the forest. Even though the were-wolves were hideously intimidating, I had to admit Nicolai was cute. It was like one of those ‘too ugly it’s cute’ kind of thing. I often found myself chuckling at his appearance.

    “Hey there,” I said as I was playfully bumped in the leg, “What do you like to be called?” I asked Nicolai’s beast.

    He sat on his haunches and tilted his huge head to the side in thought. In a grumbly mental voice he said ‘Nicolai’.

    “Alright then, Nicolai; why don’t you go hunt something,” I suggested to him sweetly.

   Nicolai the beast sniffed the air before running off to find something to chase. Jacob wrapped an arm around my waist and squeezed lightly while kissing me gently on my head once Nicolai disappeared from our view.

    “I love you!” he whispered sweetly.

    I turned to face him, his other arm wrapping around me too as I wrapped mine around him while looking up into his warm brown eyes. “I love you!”

    Jacob leaned his head down and brushed his lips against mine teasingly until I pushed my lips against his, kissing him and forgetting our surroundings. After a few tender moments enjoying our kiss we parted to catch our breaths. I laid my head on his chest and listened to the slightly fast paced rhythm of his heart beat while in his warm embrace. I exhaled a relaxed sigh then breathed in his wonderful earthy aroma. He was my sanctuary.

    While in his embrace, we heard Nicolai approaching so Jacob let me go but kept a hand on my hip. I turned to see that Nicolai had dropped a fresh dead rabbit just a few feet from me. He nudged it towards me and I smiled at him.

    “Awe, thank you Nicolai, but I already ate,” I patted my tummy, “I'm all full. You can eat it though. That was really sweet of you!” I cooed.

    Nicolai excitedly hopped from side to side like a little puppy I saw once on television and snapped the rabbit up in his muzzle. He quickly ate it and then ran off to play.

    I chuckled and Jacob huffed amused at the sight.

    “That was sweet of him,” I commented amusingly. Jacob just huffed again, making me chuckle out loud.

    I tensed in Jacob’s arms and he tensed while searching around us. “What is it Nessie,” he asked calmly but concerned.

    I telepathically informed him that five were-wolves were currently encircling us but not to make any sudden movements. They were just curious by my laughing and wanted to ensure I was protected and safe. Jacob scoffed at the idea and held me in his arms as the were-wolves finally came into view.

    The largest stepped out towards me and bowed his head. I had to admit, I was rather impressed. The were-wolf searched my eyes and then looked to Jacob before asking me if I needed him.

    I smiled sweetly and shook my head no, “No, I am fine. Go, have fun,” I shooed them with my hand and before they ran off again they each bowed their heads.

   Nicolai come running back to see what was going on and after a quick once over to see I was fine, he took off again. In his mind he thanked me for waiting for him but said that I could leave now because he was having fun and wasn’t afraid anymore.

    I was glad he felt safe enough to not fear and enjoy his time roaming free. Still in Jacob’s arms, I conveyed to him that we could head back to the house. He sighed loudly in relief and began to pull me back towards the house.