Chapter 20 - Experiences and Thanks Giving

Chapter 20

Experiences and Thanks Giving

   I experienced my first human tradition. I thought about it and wanted to go to Madison’s wake. Jacob gladly went with me and even Esme came with us. Everyone else stayed at home. The emotions that poured out of everyone filled the atmosphere to the point it took on its own aura. I couldn’t believe the grief I felt rolling off of people. I felt weighed down and even tripped on my own feet, making Jacob having to grip my arm for support.

I saw Chris having difficulty with the attention he was receiving but he at least had a healthy mental mentality all thanks to Moira and her suggestive ability. Madison’s parents however were not fairing to well. An occasional loud moaning cry escaped Madison’s mother and her father would hold onto her until she was able to compose herself enough to be able to look up.

When we had our turn at Madison’s closed casket, I couldn’t believe the offensive smells wafting up from it. I was actually relieved when we left. The entire building and even outside surrounding it stunk. I even caught Jacob scrunch his nose up a few times.

The next day was when they were burying Madison. School was cancelled for the ceremony. Esme and Carlisle went with Jacob and me to the service. I watched in horror as they lowered her coffin into the ground. My heart beat frantically in my chest. I couldn’t help but think about waking up in that thing and not being able to escape. The horror of it.

Carlisle leaned closer to my side and whispered, “Are you alright Renesmee?”

I was caught off guard and gasped, “Uh, yea.”

Jacob squeezed his arms around my waist and sighed. He heard my heart hammering away too. The ride home was somber. I watched the scenery pass by in deep thought and knew one thing for certain; I was grateful that my family was vampires and Jacob a shape shifter. Mostly immortal with the possible death by accident or murder during a fight but my family would not be leaving me anytime soon. Coming to terms with events of the week, I leaned my head heavily on Jacob’s shoulder and slipped asleep. I woke up in Alice’s bed with the voices of my family down stairs. I hated it when I fell that deep asleep and not waking when someone carry’s me.

When I entered the living room, I was surprised to see Chris there. He was sitting alone on the sofa while Jacob and Emmet chatted about a football game they had on. I went and sat next to him and he forced a small smile before looking at the game on the wide screen.

“Hey,” I bumped my shoulder into his playfully.

He looked over at me with that forced smile still on his face, “Hey.”

“What are you doing here?”

He quickly lost the forced smile and sighed. “I didn’t want to be alone,” he sighed heavily.

I patted him on the back and then put my hands back in my lap. “It’s ok. It will get better,” I guessed. I really didn’t know but I hoped I wasn’t wrong. “You need anything to drink or eat?” I stood up. It was still a little uncomfortable having Chris around.

He shook his head and turned his attention back to the game. I then walked to Jacob and draped my arm over his shoulder and leaned down to kiss his cheek.

“Want anything from the kitchen,” I asked him next.

“Popcorn,” he beamed his beautiful smile at me and my heart lightened up. I was thankful for that smile.

After making popcorn for Jacob and then Collin and Bradey who came in and joined in watching the game, I made my way to Alice’s studio. She was focused on a sketch book. She looked up to see me sitting across from her and her smile flashed before she remembered what today was.