16

Four days went by with nothing from her.

I tried not to care. I tried not to wonder. I tried not to cry. 

I failed at all of the above.

I figured she didn't want to be involved with someone whose family was so fucked up, and I didn't blame her one bit. 

I didn't bother trying to explain that little details to her. I didn't bother trying anything.

I ran the bookstore, cleaned, helped Hailie, cooked, and mourned. Even my aunt noticed.

"What's wrong, Luna? You seem sad," she asked the Wednesday after the party. It was two in the afternoon but she was on her first glass of wine. Or the first glass I knew about.

I shrugged at the sink where I was doing dishes. I'd had to turn up the water heater and give it time to do its job, but now at least the dishes would actually be clean. Hailie was working on an adult maze book. Her concentration was better without the gluten in her system. That, and she was getting more sleep overall.

But we'd been up since four and though she'd taken a nap, I hadn't, because there was too much needing done. That, and my dreams were of everything being okay with Chloe, so waking made it even worse. I was tired and yes, sad. So sad.

My aunt came to put an arm around my shoulders, which made my eyes fill. "You should go take a nap. I can handle Hailie. Did something happen at the birthday party?"

I flipped the faucet off and turned to let her hug me as I nodded. "Someone there knew who I was." I held my sudsy hands away from her back.

"Oh, honey," she said, sighing as she patted me. "I wish I could protect you from it." Her own voice was wavery.

I took a deep breath, because she was depressed enough and didn't need me making her feel worse. My mom had been a mom to her in a lot of ways, and her heart was broken too. "I'm okay, it's okay. Just annoying." I forced a laugh and wiped under my eyes with the back of my wrist. Thank God for waterproof everything on my face.

A cry went up from the living room and we sighed together this time as my heart beat faster. "I've got it," she said, and drank the rest of her wine before rushing in there.

I rinsed and dried my hands because chances were I would also be needed. But no further disturbances happened and I was able to finish washing the dishes and fight off crying.

I was still awake at eleven that night because I'd fallen asleep in the afternoon for a few hours after all. Hailie had been out since eight though, which was nice. I was laying in bed watching bad TV and working up to taking my makeup off and brushing my teeth.

My phone buzzed, and my heart leapt when I saw who it was.

Especially because of what it said.