TWENTY

-Soomi-

A whack on the forehead made me wince, but I didn't need to look to see who it was.

"Yah! Hyungseo!" I whined. "I'm telling Sangyeon."

"Wait, no, don't! I'm sorry." Hyungseo apologized quickly before hugging me.

"I was gone for a day, did you guys really miss me that much?"

The other 98' boys were blocking my way as I was trying to get to my locker. They all had teasing smiles, but there was something telling me that it was forced.

"Okay, okay, can I please get to my locker?" I asked as I wriggled out of Hyungseo's embrace.

I made my way to my locker, noticing that Juyeon was following me, the rest of the boys seemed to be surrounding me.

I opened my locker cautiously, worried that they were stopping me from opening it.

I knew it, I thought, there was no way Jaehyun would be kind only to make think he was okay again, but then trick me.

As I opened my locker, I closed my eyes shut and prepared for whatever was going to come out. But when I didn't feel anything, I slowly opened my eyes and felt my body relax.

In my locker was a note, his handwriting all too familiar.

Hey Soomi, it's Jae. I was wondering if I could talk to you later?

Maybe he has changed? Hopefully?

I felt my smile grow wider as I got my phone and unlocked it, immediately going to Jaehyun's contact. Before messaging him, I decided to change his contact name.

Jaehyunnie

I felt my heart beat faster as I typed my message and sent it, saying that I could, and asked when he'd like to meet.

The bell rang, reminding me that I still had classes. I hurriedly packed the things I needed and while I was doing so, the guys said their goodbyes to me.

"Soomi," Juyeon said and I looked at him, to see him whipping his head around before looking at me again, "just... promise me— us— that you'll go to the classroom right away, okay?"

"Where else would I go?" I questioned. "What's up with you guys? You seem so on edge."

He forced a smile. "It's nothing, really, just don't want you to be late. Just, make sure to go straight to the classroom, okay?"

Even when he left, he was still looking around, his face was showing a mix of emotions.

Still confused, I finished packing up, then closed my locker. I swung my bag over my shoulder then headed to my classroom, but on the way there, I heard whispers and laughs.

"We have to go." Someone— a girl I think— whispered.

"I know, but I don't want to." The guy playfully whined, his voice awfully familiar. "I'll see you later, okay?"

I shook my head and continued walking. Sure they could get caught, but I didn't want to get caught.

🔥❄️❄️🔥

I was smiling so much, it hurt. The thoughts that ran around my head earlier seemed to be funny. I mentally scolded myself for overthinking the whole situation.

I always wanted him to change, for him to treat me the way he used to, and when he did, I was denying it.

Maybe that's why Juyeon and the others were acting that way? To put up an act? Because now they seem so relaxed.

"Earth to Soomi."

"Huh? Oh, sorry." I apologized as I looked in his eyes, my heartbeat picking up its pace.

A smile grew on his face as we maintained eye contact. He seemed to be saying something with his eyes, but it's been a while so I couldn't decipher it as well as I used to.

I pouted. "Jaehyun, if you want to tell me something, you're going to have to say it out loud. It's been a while, you know."

He let out a shy laugh. "I know, I just wanted to check if you still understood."

"Okay, enough, I know you two are fine and all, all of a sudden, but that doesn't mean you can flirt right in front of me." Sangyeon whined. "I can still hit you, Jae."

Jaehyun and I broke off our eye contact and apologized to my brother. Then my eyes immediately met with another pair.

"Sorry, I got held back."

I froze slightly.

No way. There's no way it was him.

"Ah, Younghoon, come sit." Joonyoung called out.

I pulled away from Younghoon's gaze and met Juyeon's. He tried to mask his emotions, but he gave enough away.

There's no way that was Younghoon.

I shook my head and suddenly became interested in my food. I was thankful that no one had asked me what was wrong, but I could feel more than one pair of eyes looking at me.

I felt a hand gently grab mine, but I didn't need to look at it to know whose it was. His touch was still familiar to me even though in recent times, our way of physical contact was through him bullying me.

Was it possible? Did Jaehyun like me somehow? We were close when we were younger, but as we reached the first year of high school, he decided to become distant.

I looked up slowly and decided to look at Jaehyun. I inhaled sharply when I met his eyes, meaning that he was already looking at me.

"Where are we meeting later, by the way? You never replied." I asked softly, wanting to think of something else but Younghoon's voice and the boy's voice in the hallway.

"In the park?" He replied, just as soft, as if this was our little secret. "Maybe after dinner. I want to treat you to ice cream."

There was a playful glint in his eyes, showing me that there was something more to that 'treating me ice cream' and it made me excited.

I nodded, knowing that if I spoke, I wouldn't be able to keep it soft.

He held my hand tighter and I let him.

And I could say it, right now if he wanted me to, because I knew what I was feeling.

I loved Jaehyun. I did, I have been for how many years.

I was just scared he didn't feel the same.

——

Is the story still making sense ;;

Btw have y'all watched Always You ㅠㅠ I missed Astro so much

+ THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR SUPPORTING THIS BOOK UWU