Capable Men Don't Exist

The whole encounter with Madam Rose replayed in my mind whilst walking home. Was I happy about the whole job thing? No, I wasn't— or maybe I wasn't just sure how I felt. Was it reasonable or even possible for a maid to be paid that amount in a month? The world's level of generosity wasn't that high yet and it would never be. Come to think of it, Madam Roses' maid didn't look a tad bit like one— skin glowing, hair expertly packed, nails smooth and glittering, shirt and trousers well ironed and I must say looked expensive; those didn't portray the typical features of an ordinary housemaid. Maybe they were paying her the same amount I was offered— maybe they were really generous after all.

"Boom!"

"Holy Mary mother of sweet Jesus!" I screamed and stumbled onto the door grabbing my chest as tight as I could. I almost jumped out of my skin. Calming my scared heart that was pounding angrily against my rib cage, I glared at the devil that was laughing at me like a hyena.

"Were you planning to kill me? I was scared out of my skin you moron!" I seethed which only made her guffaw

"Estherrrrrrrr!"

"Oh...Sorry," she said quickly composing herself while struggling to contain her laughter. "But you should have seen your face". It was only a matter of nanoseconds before she exploded into another fit of laughter.

How is this devil's incarnate my sister?

'I am going to kill you,' I growled which may have or may have not sounded like a wounded dog's wail but at least I tried.

Folding my arms around my chest, I stared at her quietly and waited for her to end her episode of stupidity.

"Wait, let's leave the killing for a more appropriate time. Why aren't you in school?" I questioned.

"Isn't it obvious?"

"Isn't what obvious?"

She shrugged. "I'm not in school because I didn't feel like going to school today."

Is she serious right now?

"You are not supposed to be skipping school young lady," I said pointing at her.

"I know but the school can be tiring sometimes," she groaned.

"Or maybe you're just too lazy to do anything regarding school?"

Her lips formed into a mischievous smile. "You're right. I am lazy. But no one takes school seriously anymore these days so just chill sis"

I just stared at my mouth wide open.

"So how was your interview?" she asked dipping her hand into the back pocket of her trousers to retrieve her phone.

"Well," I started, dropping my bag on the nearest couch. 'I didn't get the.....' I trailed off when my eyes went to a small object that dropped from her pocket as she pulled out her phone.

Is that......?

No, it couldn't be

She couldn't

She wouldn't dare

I moved closer to the object and picked it up while Esther was so focused on the phone in her hands that she was oblivious to what I was doing.

Oh it is what I think it is

"Dear Esther, what pray tell, is this eh?" I asked raising the object to her face.

Her eyes widened to the point where I feared they were going to fall from their sockets. She then gave me a nervous smile.

I could only imagine her brain cells whirling around in that little head of hers to form any kind of lie that would keep her out of the trouble she was about to face.