CHAPTER 4: Not As Things Should Be

RECAP: Alex just watched her from the distance before standing up and walking over. He walked towards her and asked, "How's your aunt? I heard that she's in the hospital." He said with concern in his voice, his hands in his pockets whilst looking at the both of them. Eyeing them both.

"What?!" Her eyes widening and her voice surprised.

"She's in the hospital?!" Avery's quickly stood up and gathered her things.

"Ethan I need to go, my Aunt's in the hospital." She said, worriedly with a look of concern visible on her pale face.

"It's alright. Call me when you get there. Here's my number." He spoke as he handed her a piece of paper whilst standing up.

She nodded and said, "Thank you again. I enjoyed it."

Alex just stood there in front of both of them, examining the both of them. His eyes shifting to Ethan then to Avery. Avery jogged out of the store and then quickly ran to the nearby Automobile repair shop just across the street.

Alex just watched her standing in front of the store with a smirk on his face. She was glad that her car was now fixed, quickly she paid the bills and then drove to the hospital downtown.

What could've happened to her, She wondered.

Whilst driving to the hospital downtown she called her Aunt, she waited for a while until her Aunt answered it. "Hello, Aunt Jules. It's me Avery, i'm heading to the hospital." She frantically stated, holding onto the steering wheel.

"Why?! What? Is one of your friends there?" Aunt Julie asked full of concern, she lowered the volume of the television to hear Avery's voice much clearer and louder.

"Umm wait. Where are you?" She wondered a little confused, hearing the sound of the television but still keeping her eyes on the road.

"I'm at home. Waiting for the food to get cooked so I decided to watch tv while waiting. Is everything all right?" She worriedly stated.

"O-okay. Nope, i'm fine." She hid her embarrassment with a laugh, stopping for the red traffic light.

"Everything's fine. I'm fine. Just checking up on you!" She replied, before hanging up.

"That moron's really gonna get it." Holding tightly on the steering wheel. "Ohh he's gonna get it."

Avery drove home a bit regretful for believing Alex. That man is full of mischief and immaturity. Why did she even listen to him? Is it because he wore something decent this time? The black polo hugged his body perfectly but that doesn't answer to the question. 

Stopping in their driveway, she caught a glimpse of her phone lit up on the passenger seat. Avery stared at it for a moment before sighing sharply and picking it up.

"We're on our way. Hope it doesn't bother you but James decided to come with us just to say hello." The message read. Surely it was from Nash.

A few minutes passed, she was already in her bedroom, her laptop sitting on her lap and her eyes glued to the screen. She was reading the latest news mostly she read about politics and what mattered more than to read gossips about famous people. She liked politics more. She would rather take pictures with politicians than with celebrities.

Avery heard a knock on the door, removing her glasses while looking up to see her Aunt standing there with the door opened.

"Yes?" Avery asked, raising both of her eyebrows.

"Nash is looking for you downstairs with a friend." Aunt Julie replied.

"Thanks." She nodded, turning to her laptop to shut it down and putting it on top of her computer desk.

Avery swiftly gathered her things and proceeded downstairs to see Nash, James and her Aunt talking.

"We haven't seen each other for a while so I proposed to watch a movie and she said yes." Nash said with a chuckle, in the middle of a conversation.

"Sounds romantic." James laughed lightly, looking up to see Avery.

"And there she is." Aunt Julie said with a smile.

The three of them all stood up, Aunt Jules stood beside Avery while the two men stood in front of them.

"Asking her out comes with a huge responsibility. You need to look after her and make sure she doesn't do anything that she's not supposed to do and make sure she doesn't get hurt." Aunt Julie smiled, patting the back of Avery lightly like a fragile vase.

Avery laughed lightly, covering her mouth at the process. "Aunt, I can take care of myself. No need."

"You're a grown woman but do you have a grown mind?" Aunt Julie questioned.

"Indeed. I do have a grown mind, a kind of mind that ages to be exact." She replied back.

"Don't worry, Aunt. We'll take care of her." Nash reassured, with a smile.

"Then that's an agreement." Aunt Julie smiled, walking out of the living room to the kitchen.

40 minutes later.

They all both the tickets and stayed for awhile in a coffee shop, waiting for their movie.

"I heard that you Miss Avery have been having men problems." James chimed, taking a sip of his coffee after.

"Well, few hours ago. A man that happens to be my neighbour told me that my Aunt was in the hospital but he didn't clearly give me all of the information but that black polo shirt hugged his body perfectly." she answered.

"Ah I see. Go on." He spoke, taking another sip of his coffee. "The thing is I don't have a clue why I followed him." She stated, with curiousity.

"The answer is simple. You followed him because he looked like a leader-" He was cut off by Avery's reaction.

" A leader? Are you sure?" She responded, sarcastically.

"Let me finish. It's because he looked decent. How can you follow someone who looks like he hasn't showered in forever or brushed his teeth with messy hair? Then people will just laugh at you. You followed him because he looked like a leader, decent and a gentleman. For example, I know a man who sales eggs but wears formal clothing...which makes me want to buy his product because he looks like a professional and he looks like a person who knows what he's doing." James stated, taking another sip of his coffee.

Avery took a sip of coffee, trying to all of the information all at once.

"I should meet this man. Maybe I could do more research when I meet him and maybe boast his personality and lower his ego." James cooed, taking a gulp of his coffee.

"You people talk like i'm not here." Nash spoke, shaking his head while slicing his chocolate cake.

"It's because you act like the world revolves around cake.That's your second cake." James said bluntly, looking at him.

"There are things you would like to do more than to gossip about Avery's crush."

"James!" A man's voice called out, happily walking towards them.

"Alex!" James called out standing up as Alex stood in front of him.

"Not him again." Avery said, trying to hide her face.

"Long time no see. What brings you here?" James asked, curiously.

"A meeting with the director, still working on that project." Alex responded.

"With some friends?" Alex questioned, looking at Nash and then Avery but he barely recognized her since she was looking at her phone that was on her lap, her hair covering her face.

"Yes. We're just having some coffee. You want to join? Since the director is still not here." James offered with a smile.

"I don't see any exceptions." A lopsided smile crossed his lips.

"This is amiss!" Avery thought, quietly huffing.