sixteen - the box

"ethan i'm fine, honestly."

living with ethan the past two days has been odd, i've been sleeping in his bed while he takes the couch.

when he said he had moved on, he really meant it, i just wish he knew what amelia was really like.

grabbing my hands to help me out of bed, he wraps an arm around my waist and helps me walk out to the kitchen where he sits me down in front of a well prepared breakfast. my legs were still pretty sore from being crushed by my car.

"did you make this?" i ask, raising my eyebrow.

"maybe." he shrugs, pouring my espresso into a mug while he rushed around the apartment.

"what're you doing?" i ask.

"amelia and i are going out shopping to buy clothes for the trip. i'd offer you to come but you're still struggling and i'd much rather have you stay here where i know you'll be safe." ethan tells me, running a hand through his bed head.

"i'm not six ethan." i glare at him, "plus the doctor said a little exercise wouldn't hurt."

ethan shakes his head before grabbing his car keys off the counter. "later tonight we can go on a walk, but for now, stay here and relax. call me if you need me, alright?"

i nod, watching him leave the door. i swallow down my breakfast which was two fried eggs with two toasted and buttered pieces of toast with fresh sliced strawberries. i put my dish in the sink and start washing all the pans and pots that were already in there also.

as i was scrubbing the dishes, i began to think about amelia and what she said, amelia saw me as a threat with ethan, which i figured i could use to my advantage, i wasn't a mean person at all, but she almost tried to kill me.

once the dishes were all washed, dried and put away, i decided to tidy up everything else, since ethan's been babying me so much i haven't gotten the chance to actually move around and do stuff since. i decided to do a load of his laundry while vacuuming his carpet, and i also wiped down all of his dusty furniture which was becoming pretty bad.

once the load was finished, i popped it into the dryer and folded it, i placed it on top of the dresser in his room and opened the drawers to slowly begin putting each clothing article inside.

as i was putting away his shirts, my hand hit something hard, i checked what it was and it was a small red box, i wiggle my eyebrows a little as i pick it up and suspect what it could be, opening the little box, i realized it was an engagement ring.

my stomach turned into a knot when i realized it was probably for amelia and he might be planning to propose on the trip. i felt the sudden urge to break into tears. i put the box exactly back in it's spot before finishing up with the rest of his clothes and returned back to the kitchen where i was going to prepare lunch but changed my mind because i lost my appetite after seeing that ring.

i decided to leave, i needed some air and maybe some alcohol to calm myself down. the liquor store was probably a ten minute walk away from ethan's apartment, and my body was starting to feel a little less achy.

slipping my shoes on and leaving the door, i started my walk. it was a little breezy outside but nothing too cold, reaching the lbco, i walked to the back where there was a bottle of red wine, just what i needed. walking up to the checkout, i place my bottle down and begin patting my pockets, mentally cursing to myself that i forgot it at ethan's.

"don't worry about it. i got it."

i turn my head to meet eyes with a dreamy figure. he was a pretty tall guy, probably 5'7 or 5'8. he had hazel eyes and darkish brown hair that almost flopped over his eyes because it was so curly, he was handsome as he smiled to show off his dimples as he pulls out twenty dollars from his pocket.

"oh my gosh no!" i exclaim, pushing his hand away.

"oh please, i've had a rough day and this would make it a lot better." he says with a deep but sexy voice. he smiles softly before handing the cashier the money.

"i need to pay you back." i sigh.

"that's not necessary." he grins, paying for his own six case of beers.

"no really, i won't be able to sleep tonight if i don't." i chuckle.

he turns to me, and smiles. "well how about you repay me by helping me put these drinks to use?"

"i can see what i can do." i grin.

"am i welcome over?" he asks.

"i guess just this once." i say jokingly.

hopefully ethan stays out longer than he's planning.

together, we walked back to his truck and put our alcohol in the back. i got into the passengers seat and wiggled my eyebrows, "i never got your name."

"it's jack, what's yours?" he asks.

"allie." i smile.