Chapter Forty-Three

[ CW: Strong language ]

The fallout was explosive and volatile.

People on the sidewalks froze, rounding on the garage where two young women were in the throes of a full-blown meltdown. Indifferent to their audience, the girls screamed and cried, taking their quarrel out from the garage and into the streets.

"Where are you going?" Em shouted, trailing behind May as she stormed out of the open bay doors.

"What do you care?" May snarled back without turning. Her face was drenched in tears that wouldn't stop flowing; she focused her red eyes beyond the prying ones in the Rookery and on the sidewalks.

"Don't do this, May."

"Don't do what?" May whirled back. Every inch of her - from her glistening face to the balled fists at her sides - screamed of hurt and heartbreak. "I'm leaving. Isn't that what you're supposed to do when your girlfriend tells you she doesn't want to be with you anymore?"

"You're making a scene."

It was a cruel and heartless thing for Em to say, and the hushed, incredulous whispering around her said everyone within earshot knew it. But they couldn't see her glassy eyes, wet with unshed tears. Tact may not have been Em's strong suit, but this was still killing her inside.

May huffed a hollow laugh. "How did you think I was going to react, Emanthy? We're an us; we were supposed to do this together. I love you."

"I know." Em couldn't bring herself to look at her. She didn't say the words back.

"I can't believe this," May sobbed, raking her hands through her hair. "This can't be happening."

It was her very worst nightmare, come to life.

For a moment, neither spoke. The air between them sizzled like freshly seared skin; just breathing burned and stung.

"I'm sorry," Em said. Her words fell at May's feet like a stone. "I never should have brought you with me."

"Why are you doing this?" May wept. She knew she sounded pathetic but she couldn't help herself.

She was about to lose it all.

"You're in the way, May." Em's eyes flashed. "Thanks to you, I'm a wanted woman. None of this -" she gestured around her with a wild wave of her arms "- is what I wanted. I never should have let you talk me into this and now I'm so far in I don't think I can get back out. I can't do this anymore."

"You think this is all my fault?" May asked in a small, heart-wrenched voice.

"Yes, I do." Em didn't even need to think about it.

May's breath caught in her throat. The crimson of hurt-turned-fury raced up her neck and across her face.

"Fuck you," she growled dangerously.

Em buckled as though she had been punched in the gut, but caught herself quickly. Breathing deep, she drew herself up tall, despite the sadness blooming across her face like a bruise.

"Goodbye, May."

She rose into the air, electricity licking and snapping in the space around her. With one last indiscernible look, she twisted around and took off skyward.

She was gone, and May was alone.

*

May ran until the aching of her lungs and the fissure through her heart became too painful to bear. But even after slowing, she marched on in the direction of nothing in particular. She had no idea where she was going, just that she had to keep moving. The rhythm of her footsteps kept her grounded; as long as she didn't stop, maybe she wouldn't crumble into the wreckage she felt like inside.