22

21 | kaylie

Time did not seem to serve it's purpose right then

Time did not seem to serve it's purpose right then. It was completely disregarded as Julian stared blankly into space, his head leaning against the car's back rest. His eyes puffy and red, his breathing heavy.

If anyone were to walk past at that moment, he would have looked like a drunk mess. If only they knew how much of a broken mess he truly was. The door to his side was still open, as it had been when he first entered the car, while the door to the passenger seat remained closed.

However the passenger door very suddenly opening jolted him back to reality. Without a word, Kevin took a seat. To say Julian was completely taken aback was an understatement. But as Kevin remained silent, so did Julian.

There was that unfamiliar feeling of animosity in the air, and Julian dared not open his mouth. Eventually, it was Kevin who spoke. "You should go and see her," he didn't look at Julian. He couldn't even turn his head.

But the last thing he had expected to hear, was Julian's reply.

"No."

Kevin turned to his teammate, slowly, "what?"

"I won't," both his hands were clenched into fists as his nails dug into his palms. He didn't want to tear up again. Not in front of Kevin. "I've already caused so much pain for you and I-I won't go anywhere near her again, I promise."

"I see how much you love her, Kevin. I see what she means to you. And God knows how much I regret━"

"Julian stop it!" Julian was taken aback when Kevin screamed into his face, yanking his shirt toward him so the two men were finally seeing eye to eye. "If you know what the hell you've done, then you know you've made her happy."

You could almost see the veins popping out of Kevin's neck as he breathed heavily. Julian was frozen, and a little afraid, but he was doing his best to remain calm. Eventually Kevin released his grip on his friend.

They sat in silence for a moment, Julian digging his brain for the right words to use and Kevin with his head down. "You've made her so happy," his voice was barely above a whisper. But Julian shook his head.

"If there's anyone out there worthy of Kaylie, it's you, not me. I'm-I'm sorry for everything."

For falling in love with Kaylie. For thinking we had a chance. For believing we'd eventually find our place in this universe.

"I'm really sorry," he muttered.

Kevin remained silent. His eyes wandered in front of him, refusing to turn to Julian. It was funny how both he and Julian wanted the exact same thing for Kaylie. But there was only one person that she wanted.

"Kevin, if you love her, then fight for her. Because she needs you now, more than ever." It took Julian all his might to fight back the lump that was so desperately rising in his throat.

Let her go, Julian. She was never meant to be yours, remember? Not from the start.

Julian heard Kevin leaving the car and watched as the latter walked toward the lift lobby. As he disappeared behind the closed door, Julian was left alone to his thoughts.

---

Giovani stood by the door leaning against the wall, his arms crossed and his gaze at the clock. Marco had told him to stay by Kaylie while he went to look for Kevin. The Argentine had been specifically instructed to call Marco should Kaylie wake suddenly.

It had been about 20 minutes since Marco had left. Neither he nor Julian was replying to his texts, and he was starting to feel anxious. Where in the world could Julian have gone? And what about Kevin?

His eyes shifted from the clock to Kaylie, still motionless on her bed. She was a great woman, and from what he had seen, pretty much made for Kevin. Yet the way she made Julian's face light up with pure joy and love was unlike he had ever seen of Julian.

Maybe he had been staring for too long, because he could have sworn he saw her fingers move ever so slightly. Giovani nearly gasped in shock when he realized that her eyelids were now fluttering open.

He slowly approached her, as her eyes finally opened before him. Giovani was about to freak out. He wanted to call the nurse, and Marco, maybe Julian and Kevin too. But then she turned to him and he found himself uttering, "h-hey."

"Hi," a weak smile formed on her lips, "Gio right?"

He nodded. She acknowledged him before her eyes seemingly wandered around. Like she was looking for something. Or someone. It didn't take him too long to put two and two together.

"Marco, Julian and Kevin are coming," Giovani told her, rubbing her shoulder reassuringly. He was planing on calling them soonest. She flashed him a smile in return, and a nod. "I'll go get the nurse," he motioned to the door.

The look she gave him was enough for him to hesitate. Not because she wanted him to stay. But because there was so much pain in those beautiful eyes; the way clouds sometimes concealed rainbows until they slowly faded to gray.

"You alright?" He asked.

Instead of a response, Kaylie's eyes began watering. She looked away as tears started rolling down her cheeks. "I remember everything, Giovani."

---

Plot twist; Gio and Kaylie fall in love and move to Argentina where they have 5 kids and 3 cats. 🙊 nah I'm kidding 😂