07

07 | never meant to be easy

They hadn't insisted she come, but Kaylie decided she would anyway

They hadn't insisted she come, but Kaylie decided she would anyway. Kevin and Marco wanted to be at training early, and since Kaylie was ready anyway, she thought why not. "I'll just hang around the area," she said as they exited Marco's car.

"I think I remember some of the shops around here," she gestured to the row of shops across the parking lot. Kevin took one look and nodded. "You love the cafes here," he told her.

Kaylie replied with a sheepish chuckle, "how exciting."

"Holler if you need anything," Marco squeezed her arm. Kevin mumbled an agreement, and then gave her a small wave. Just as Kaylie was about to head for the shops, Kevin called her.

They hadn't spoken much since Marco arrived. So she had no idea what he was thinking. But Kevin smiled at her. "I'll see you later okay?" There wasn't any pain or hurt in his voice. Just the same fondness that she had always heard from him.

She found herself mirroring his smile, "yeah."

Kaylie ambled away, thoughts about Kevin running through her mind. What do I do, she thought as a car entered the parking lot. She glanced at it briefly. But the driver pulled up beside her, rolling down the window.

"Hey again," Julian grinned. Kaylie couldn't help but laugh. "Are you stalking me?" She quipped. He shrugged, "I mean I do have training." Kaylie smiled. Everything this boy did seemed to amuse her.

"Right," she blushed. Julian saw the pink in her cheeks. He had seen that a lot from her. He loved how it only made her look more endearing than she already was. And she was already so stunning.

He must have been staring for too long because she suddenly leaned back, "what is it?"

Julian quickly shook his head, "oh, nothing." He swiftly changed the topic to avoid the awkwardness. "How are you feeling?"

"Better, actually," she lied. "The baguette was amazing," this was the truth. "True," he nodded, "I just love that bakery." Kaylie could see his eyes sparkle at the mention of the bakery. He must truly like it.

"I'll buy you another one alright? Thank you again," she beamed brightly at him. But Julian, being the man that he was, was having none of that. "There's no need!"

She frowned, "but I insist!" That earned a chuckle from Julian. He thought she looked adorable flustered. But that was a thought he kept to himself. Instead he blurted out, "you could let me take you out instead."

The heat. It was rising to her cheeks again. Julian on the contrary was stumbling over his words, cursing at himself for speaking without thinking. "If you want to, that is," he managed.

But Kevin.

Kaylie bit her lip. Surely Kevin knew Julian.

What would he say? What would he think?

However as her eyes landed on his, her answer came without hesitation. "Yes," she said, her voice barely audible. It was only because Julian was looking at her that he heard. "Are you sure?" He chuckled nervously, rubbing the back of his neck.

Slowly but surely, she found herself smiling. "Yes," she repeated, louder this time. Whatever it was, she couldn't bring herself to say no to him.

Julian exhaled, as if he had been nervously holding his breath. He watched as Kaylie pulled out her phone. "I'll text you! Or you can text me," she shrugged coolly, earning a  chuckle from Julian. "So," he began, "what do you do?"

"What do I do?" She seemed confused initially. But after a second, she understood. "Oh you mean my job? I'm an architect- I think," Kaylie replied after much hesitation. Julian cocked an eyebrow, "you think?"

"Yeah, it's a long story," she avoided meeting his eyes.

"You don't work here?" He asked curiously. She shook her head in reply, surprising Julian. All this while he thought she had been a new staff at the training ground.

She must have seen the look on his face because she spoke, "you're probably wondering why I'm always here. That's a long story too."

A story I don't think you need to hear.

She had no intention of telling. A muffled oh escaped his lips. "Anyway," she leaned closer to the window, "you might be late for training." Julian's eyes widened. Glancing at the clock, he panicked. "Crap," he uttered under his breath.

"I'm sorry Kaylie. I'll talk to you soon," Julian flashed her an apologetic smile before driving away. She watched him go, her lips curled into an idiotic grin.

Because there was a certain feeling in the pit of her stomach. An almost strange feeling; of affection, fondness. Love?

But what would she know about love right?

--

thank you for reading! ❤️