04

04 | our story will begin again

The soft clicking of a lock broke the evening silence as Kevin slowly opened the door to Kaylie's apartment

The soft clicking of a lock broke the evening silence as Kevin slowly opened the door to Kaylie's apartment. She walked inside warily, like it wasn't her own home she was headed into. Seeing the interior, a muffled wow slipped from her tongue.

"Such a cute place," Kaylie commented. Kevin laughed, "of course it is! You chose it all by yourself." Kaylie smiled, her eyes lingering on Kevin for awhile before she continued admiring the apartment.

He smiled too, watching her wander into seemingly unfamiliar territory. "Get yourself comfortable okay? I'll make us dinner," he told her. She nodded in reply.

Within forty minutes, the two were seated on the floor before the coffee table. The aroma of the bologna filled the air, with a generous amount of baked cheese blanketing the pasta.

"You'd always force me to sit on the floor with you," Kevin explained with a smile, "you used to say we'd be closer this way." He chuckled, taking his eyes away from Kaylie and twirling the pasta with his fork.

He felt somehow felt shy at that point. It was strange because for as long as he had known Kaylie - all his life - he had never felt this way. Yet at that moment it was like he was facing his feelings for her all over again.

Kaylie shrugged, oblivious to his thoughts. "I like it," she beamed brightly, "it's really cozy." She then gestured to the food, "this smells amazing by the way."

"Did I teach you how to cook this too?" She asked in anticipation. Kevin pulled a face, shaking his head, "this is my own masterpiece, unfortunately."

Instantly, they burst into laughter; hearty and genuine. And for awhile, everything felt alright. Like there wasn't a problem in the world. Like Kevin and Kaylie were happy, and deeply in love.

But there was a problem. A huge one. And Kaylie...

When Kevin turned to her, she was already gazing at him. "Thank you Kevin," her voice was barely above a whisper. "For doing this for me," she continued, a timid smile gracing her lips.

He stared at her, thinking of how he should phrase his answer. I'm doing this because I love you. Because you mean the world to me. Because you are my everything, Kaylie.

But all he could manage was an of course, and what he truly wanted to say was left unspoken.

For now.

--

As Kevin washed up, Kaylie stood beside him and wiped the dishes dry. Kaylie was telling him about how she had hated the hospital food. "Thank goodness you guys always bought me snacks," she shook her head laughing.

Kevin remembered clearly and he too laughed in return. "You'd barely eat what they gave you," he added. She chuckled sheepishly, nodding in agreement. Just as Kaylie placed the last plate on the drying rack, Kevin's phone rang.

She reached for it, immediately passing it to Kevin, "here." She didn't look at who was calling.

"Kev!" Julian's cheery voice greeted him on the line. Kevin smiled weakly. He had been meaning to talk to Julian for awhile already. "Hey! How've you been?" Kevin flashed Kaylie a quick smile, before leaving the kitchen for some privacy.

Julian laughed, "me? How've you been? You looked so busy all week." The older German ran a hand through his hair, releasing a light chuckle. Julian didn't know. Then again, neither did most of the boys.

"Yeah... Sorry I didn't tell you earlier. There's been an accident involving my girlfriend."

The silent response indicated that Julian had definitely been unprepared for that kind of answer. "Oh - oh my goodness, is she alright?"

"She is! She is. Thankfully," Kevin replied, deciding to hold back the rest of the story for now. "That's good," Julian uttered softly, more to himself than to Kevin.

"You know I'm here for you, right bro? If you need anything," Julian assured his teammate, sincerity evident in his voice. Again, a tired smile graced Kevin's lips. "I know. Thanks man."

As Julian began talking about how his presence in training had been sorely missed, Kevin noticed that the house was oddly quiet. He exited the hallway, to find a snoozing Kaylie lying on the couch.

He walked up to her, Julian still speaking through his phone. She was fast asleep, her breathing deep and relaxed. She still looked as beautiful as ever, and all Kevin wanted to do press his lips against her soft pink ones.

"... you and your girlfriend maybe?" Julian's question made Kevin pause.

"Say again?"

"Lunch," Julian repeated, his voice now muffled as he chewed onto something from his end, "with Marco, Giovani, you and your girlfriend. If she's okay that is."

"Oh yeah, you've never met her have you?" Kevin recalled. "Sure. Sure."

--