01

01 | world comes crashing down

When Kevin heard the news, he had practically sprinted to the hospital

When Kevin heard the news, he had practically sprinted to the hospital. Marco had hurried over upon hearing from Kevin, where he found the latter outside Kaylie's operating theater. He restlessly paced the corridor as Marco quietly watched on.

"Kevin, you should sit down," Marco tried again, after his previous attempts at getting him to calm down. Like before, the former simply replied with silence. He continued his anxious pacing, and Marco's attempt was once again fruitless.

Kevin went on that way for the next three hours, with the occasional interruption by Marco offering him coffee and small snacks. Offers he rejected. His nerves had gotten the better of him, and he just couldn't shake off the uneasy feeling he had in his bones.

The wait felt excruciatingly long, much to Kevin's concern. He suddenly stopped, gripping onto a railing by the wall to steady himself. His mind was racing with a million thoughts. But ultimately it was about one thing. One person.

"I can't lose her again," Kevin uttered, almost to himself. "I can't Marco," he looked up, meeting the concerned eyes of his teammate.

He couldn't imagine life without Kaylie, the one he had grown to love with more than he could have ever imagined. The past year being with her, after almost losing her to his own decisions, had brought nothing but pure joy into his life.

He couldn't lose the love of his life.

"She'll be fine," Marco's words shook him back to his senses. "She's a strong woman Kevin. I have faith in her, and you should too."

Kevin shut his eyes, taking in a deep breath. Marco was right. He should know, of all people, how much of a fighter Kaylie was. Marco as well, considering how close the two. Kaylie's going to be alright, he told himself, taking another deep breathe.

The sound of another voice caused their heads to snap up almost in unison. "Are you Kevin? Kaylie's boyfriend?" He looked at Kevin. The German could only nod in response.

The surgeon, judging from his outfit, mirrored his nod. "I'm Doctor Durand, and we've just completed the surgery on Kaylie," he shifts his feet, as if unsure how to convey the rest of the information.

Kevin's widened eyes staring at him didn't make it any easier. But the doctor was accustomed to this, considering the countless amount of times he had done this. "Thankfully," he began, "we've stopped the bleeding and fixed her up. Her recovery should go smoothly from here on."

A wave of relief washed over both Kevin and Marco upon hearing those words, clearly evident from the instant change of expression. But their joy was short lived, when Durant dropped a bombshell on them.

"However," he continued, "she received a significant amount of damage to her temporal lobe, the portion of her brain that keeps her memories." Durant let his voice trail off, seeing the look on Kevin's face.

No...

Kevin's mouth fell slightly agape as another rush of thoughts filled his head.

Surely it couldn't be...

He couldn't even find his voice at that moment. He didn't want to think that it might be what he thought. There was no way, right?

"What-what does that mean doctor?" It was Marco who asked, not bothering to hide the concern in his voice. The doctor looked at the two men before him, hesitating for a second.

"It means that Miss Stark has unfortunately lost her memory."

--

ps, not all chapters will be this short. Chapter lengths will vary because I've become a mess but I still want to write LOL. anyhow thank you for reading! xx