shannon : 34

i stay true to my word. i got home and booked a flight to my dads house. i have idea how long i plan on staying but it's nearly summer vacation so i might stay over those couple of months. mum and casey were sad but not sad enough to make me stay. i am sad but i'd rather be sad in texas away from a girl who i'd love, more than anything, to kiss. but i just need to think. that's probably the queerest thing i'll day to my self for a while. i need to move on for a bit and pause my life here.

TEXAS.

i've not seen my dad in three year. but we make immediate eye contact and give each other the biggest hug imaginable. the smell of texas reminds me of growing up and playing with my friend with out a care in the world.
"you've grown up a lot since i last saw you shan." my dad obviously points out.
"yeah i think i'm gay that's the change." i say completely by accident, thinking out loud.
"bombshell. i'm happy for you sweetie. you got a girl back home then." he says not at all perplexed by my questionable coming out method. "shan?" he follows up.
"oh sorry. i kinda do." the mention of cammie makes my heart flutter.
"what do you mean kinda," my dad imitates, "like bum buddies kinda or..." i cut him off before he can offend me anymore.
"like she nearly killed a girl kinda." it takes a second for it to click with my dad.
"wait...you're half dating a murderer?!" my dad slams the breaks and turns to me, "how in hell have you managed this one kiddo?" he chuckles as my eyes well up. he notices and pulls me in for a hug. "explain it to me when we get back kid. over a nice warm mug of cocoa."

we get home and dad makes some hot chocolate. he sits down and faces me. "what's happening out there shan?" he says in a soft tone. i give him a weak smile and start to explain. "you need to sort this out shannon." he says half joking half serious, "go ring your psychotic murderer girlfriend and sort it out."

he walks out and closes the door behind him. i snuggle up into the freshly washed bed sheets and turn on the ellen show. i pick my phone up a few times and then put it back down. trying to think of what to say and how to say it. because at heart i really think this girl is the one for me. but in my head i can't stop thinking about the reactions at school and around our local town. why can't everything be easy.

i pick my phone up and press camden's name.

cammie: hello?
shannon: hey i'm sorry i need to explain
cammie: i understand. you just need some time and some space. i get it.
shannon: no. i don't want time or space, cammie.
cammie: what do you want then?
shannon: you...