Chapter 12

Late that night I woke to Jeremy moaning in his sleep. I turned and found him massaging his shoulder. I woke him up, worried. He opened his eyes and sat up. He looked at me.
“What's wrong?” He asked. I noticed him wince when he had sat up. I looked at him sternly.
“Has your shoulder been bothering you?” I asked.
“I mean, it hurts a little, but not that much. Why?”
I maintained my firm demeanor.
“Because I woke up hearing you moan and rub it. Besides that, you stole one of my pillows to prop it up. Jeremy, you haven't been completely honest with me.”
It wasn't a question. He looked like a cornered animal.
“OK.” He admitted reluctantly. “It hurts more than I let on, but, really, it’s not that bad. And I didn't think you'd notice the pillow being gone. I mean, I took the smallest out of the four.”
I fought back a smile and thought for a moment.
“Jer, I think you should stay home, till the pain goes down a bit.” I told him, knowing he would try to argue.
Absolutely not! I will not let you go without me.”
“Jeremy, you being injured won't help the mission. You have to think of what's best for our job, not me.” He looked away.
“But my job is to keep you safe.” He replied. I pressed myself against his side and covered his hand with mine. Or partially covered it.
“That may be, but you can't protect me if you're in that much pain,” I informed him.
“I need you in top condition. We both know the trouble I'm capable of causing.”
Jeremy chuckled and pressed a light kiss to my hair.
“True enough. The only times I've been shot at while we were here, I was with you.”
He paused for a moment and gently rubbed my back. I closed my eyes and relaxed against him.
“I'm beginning to feel sorry for Zeke. The poor guy is probably gonna end up loaded with led.”
I huffed and pushed away from Jeremy playfully.
“Don't go blaming me. I've managed to keep out of the line of a bullet this entire time. I'm sure not going to tackle a major crime boss on my next mission.”
I will; however, employ that tactic in my next sparring practice.
“Just rest, Jay. We have a mission in the morning.”I raised an eyebrow.
"I have a mission. You are staying home."He grumbled in responce. I shook my head before leaning against him once again and falling into a deep sleep.

                                        ~'~'~

She made a good point, but I was still reluctant to let her go.
  Without me.
    With someone I didn't know enough to trust with her well-being.
What if she gets hurt or captured or-
Jeremy Henryson! You know better than anyone that she can take care of herself.
I sighed. Jay had long since drifted back off to sleep. “I know. Now I know what you felt like when I went to missions without you,” my voice was barely audible, even in the ear-splitting midnight silence. My heart constricted at the thought of losing her.

                                       ~~~

The next morning I woke to Jeremy pacing around our bedroom.
I rubbed my eyes and took a deep breath.
“Morning, Jer.” I yawned. My voice was still rough and gravelly from sleep.
  He jumped and looked up.
“Morning. Have you changed your mind?” He asked anxiously. I thought for a moment.
Changed my mind? About what? Then it came to me. I couldn't help the small smile.
“Sorry, Love, but, no. You are staying home.” I giggled. He sighed and came to sit on the edge of the bed.
“I hate your leaving without me.” He said. I forced my muscles to work with me, pushed myself up, and crawled across the bed to sit next to him, ignoring the nausea. I kissed his cheek, grabbed his hand, and leaned on his shoulder.
I'm beginning to feel very comfortable with this situation, I thought to myself.
  He squeezed my hand.
“I know, but it's for the best.” I replied. He put his head on mine.
“I know. But I don't have to like it.” He grumbled.
  I laughed.
“Come on. Let's go get some breakfast.”

                                           ~~~

We ate a quick breakfast then went back upstairs. Jeremy hadn't talked much and I felt bad for keeping him here. I knew it was for the best, but I couldn't leave him like that. I took his hand and faced him when we walked into the room.
“Jer,” I said. He looked away. “Look at me.” He glanced my way but didn't move.
“Come on, Jer. I wish you could come too, but you can't.” I gently turned his face to look at me.
“I'll miss you.” I stood on my tiptoes and kissed his nose. He finally looked at me and smiled a little.
“Well, if this is what it takes to make you miss me…”
  I punched his uninjured shoulder playfully.
“You know I missed you every time you left without me.” We smiled at each other.
“Now you come back to me Tarah Jay Henryson.” He touched my nose with his.
  I suddenly felt scared and almost cried. I hugged him to hide my fears. I didn't want to leave him. I didn't like being apart from him. When I composed myself, I leaned back and kissed him passionately. When we parted he put his hands on my cheeks and kissed my forehead.
“I love you.” He whispered. I smiled a little.
“I love you.”
He kissed me again, but we were interrupted when someone barged in then halted abruptly. It was Cloe.
“Ah!” She cried, covering her eyes with her hands. “Ew!”
I rolled my eyes.
“If you had knocked you wouldn't have seen it.” I retorted. She narrowed her eyes and put her hands on her hips. Jeremy just watched in shock as I copied her stance.
“This is my house and I can come in here whenever I want.” She spat.

                                       ~'~'~