18. Overwhelming

[Author's Note: So I decided that from now on I'm going to put link to music that helps me into mood as I write every chapter. Feel free to listen to them as you read on. Let me know what you think! Happy Reading]

***

I wish I could wield time. Then I would run to you, sit right next to you for hours, just looking at you. And you would never know that I was there.

You would never know that I love you.

***

[LEGOLAS POV]

Next to a mellorn tree I stood. The whole pavilion was silent except for the sound of clattering cooking utensils as Samwise cooked. I started to think that the light haired hobbit often busied himself with cooking unnecessary food just to keep himself occupied. The soft mannered hobbit himself, or anyone else for that matter didn’t seem like they were in any mood to eat anything at the moment.

Not after what happened just recently.

It had been millennia since Lothlorien got invaded by an outsider. But a wargs attack in the well guarded Caras Galadhon was something entirely different. It was unprecedented.

How could we fall for such a diversion? How did we not see it coming?

I was pulled out of my deep thought when my eyes caught someone unlikely paid us a visit.

Apparently Aragorn noticed the change in my posture so he glanced at me.

Man cerig (what’s wrong), Legolas?”

“Lady Galadriel is approaching.”

Soon the Lady of Light came into view, visiting our humble pavilion. We all stood in respect. David slapped Gimli who snored ignorantly by the shoulder, effectively waking the dwarf.

“I’d like to see her,” said Lady Galadriel. David and Gimli made a way for her to enter the tent.

I and Aragorn ushered her inside, where she knelt next to the sleeping Sara.

“She hasn’t awakened yet since yesterday?”

“Nay, my lady. She had been in this state for more than twenty four hours,” said Aragorn.

“We tried waking her up, but she was unable to keep her eyes open for more than a few seconds,” I informed ruefully, “We only managed to get water and a little food into her system.”

“Usually after her transformation she did have to sleep for an unusually long time. But never this long,” mused David with worry etched across his expression.

I trained my eyes on Sara’s face. Opposite to yesterday when her skin glowed with healthy streaks, now her complexion seemed washed out and had a grey hue in it. The sockets of her eyes was sunken and the dark circle under her eyes was prominent.

“Do not let your hearts be burdened by her ailment,” she said softly, her eyes trained on us one by one, “For she is weighed down because of her choices, but she is fighting hard.”

“What do you mean weighed down because of her choices?” frowned Merry.

“She misused the power of the darkness for good,” answered Lady Galadriel with a compassion on her expression, “She saved us yesterday and it does not bode well with the dark queen. So she is punishing her from the inside.”

“She’s killing her from the inside,” I stated in alarm, a sense of doom hit me as grief wrapped its cold hands around my heart. A sting of pain that I never felt before suffocated me from the inside, eating me alive.