"We were together all the way until Lucas was six. We both thought we were going to get married. But then...it just didn't work out. We split up but shared custody of Lucas. 

"We got along great and had no issues co-parenting. When Lucas was nine his dad met Tessa and they got engaged fast. Lucas loved her and she took to him quickly. Things were great. Until I met someone. 

"He was sweet and kind, and much like Jason and Tessa, we got engaged quickly. He was great with Lucas and Lucas seemed really taken with him. We were in love like teenagers again. 

"But I soon found that he had a temper. And he...um...he started beating me whenever he got angry." Cassandra said, taking a deep breath.

I reach out and grabbed her hand, giving it a squeeze, knowing how hard it was for her to talk about, "Anyways. Lucas found out when he was eleven and said he never wanted to see me again until I divorced my husband." Cassandra finished.

"What happened?" I asked softly.

"Six months after Jason and Tessa took Lucas indefinitely, I divorced Mike and filed a restraining order. I talked with Jason and he talked to Lucas but Lucas said he didn't want to see me. And he kept saying that for five years." Cassandra said.

"Well, he's back now. And I don't think he'll be going anywhere any time soon." I said.

She smiled, "He likes you, you know." Cassandra said. 

I smiled and shook my head, "He does. Every time he brings you up, which is quite often, he gets this sparkle in his eye and a goofy smile on his face. He really cares about you." Cassandra insisted.

I smiled, "I care about him, too." I said. 

She smiled brightly, "Good." She said.

Just as she finished Lucas walked back into the room, talking on the phone, "No Cole. I don't care what they're saying. Look, I can't talk right now. I'll call you later." Lucas said before hanging up the phone and shoving it back into his pocket. 

He looked at us, giving him sly smiles and he immediately narrowed his eyes, "What were you two talking about?" He asked.

"Nothing. Who was that on the phone?" Cassandra asked, changing the subject.

"Oh it was just a friend." Lucas said casually. 

"What were you talking about? You sounded annoyed." She pressed.

"Nothing important. Just stupid drama," he insisted, brushing it off, "anyways, we need to be heading out soon. I'm going to come and visit some time next week after your surgery, okay?" Lucas asked, walking over and kissing his mom on the cheek.

"Alright sweetheart. Thanks for coming." She said.

"Love you." He said as he began making his way to the door. I stood up and followed, stopping to turn back around when Cassandra called out my name. 

"Ariel, it was good to meet you." She said.

I smiled, "You too." I replied before turning around and following Lucas into the hallway. 

I looked up at him and saw that he looked annoyed, "What did Cole call you about?" I asked. 

He sighed as we stepped onto the elevator and he pressed the button that would take us to the parking garage, "Nothing important." Lucas said. 

I gave him a look as we walked, "What?" he asked. 

I just shook my head, "No, it's not nothing," I said. Before he could interject I spoke again, "But that's okay. You don't have to say anything."