Chapter 18

My heart dropped through my stomach and my breath caught in my throat, "Wh-what?" I asked, my voice breaking. 

"He got pneumonia about a week ago and it got worse. He passed away in his sleep this morning. I'm so sorry sweetie, I know how close you two were. Where...where are you?" She asked.

"Um...I'm with Lucas. We're on our way to his house. My car is there..." I couldn't really figure out what to say. I was going into shock.

"Okay. Well once you get there head home. Your dad is booking tickets now. We're trying to get the closest flight out." Mom said.

"O..Okay." I answered before she hung up and I let the phone drop into my lap. 

"What happened princess?" Lucas asked as he drove, continuously glancing between me and the road.

I could quickly feel a panic attack coming as my breathing became labored. Lucas quickly pulled the car over to the side of the road and reached over to grab my hands.

"Hey hey hey, Ariel breathe. You're okay. I'm here. You're here. Just listen to my voice. Listen to my voice." Lucas said lowly.

I tried to calm myself down but I could only feel it getting worse. Tears begun to fall and Lucas pulled me into his chest.

"Hey it's okay. I'm right here." He said lowly to me. 

He continued to whisper to me as the panic attack passed and I was left, shaking and crying in his arms.

"Hey, Ariel, look at me," Lucas said softly, lifting up my chin so I could look him in the eye, "what happened?" He asked.

I took a deep breath and wiped away tears, "Um, my granddad got sick last week...and he passed away this morning." I said as a stray tear slipped from my eye.

"Oh my god Ariel I'm so sorry." Lucas said, pulling me in for another hug.

"Him and I were really close and I didn't even know that he had gotten sick." I said.

"That's awful. I'm so sorry." He said.

I took a deep breath and wiped away tears, "I can't believe you had to see another panic attack. I'm sorry." I said as I wiped away my remaining tears.

"Hey," Lucas said, grabbing my hand and squeezing, "I've told you this before and I'll say it again. Don't you ever feel bad for that. You call me at any time of the day and I will be there for however long you need me. You're my best friend. You got that?" He asked.

I gave him a watery smile and nodded, "Yeah." I whispered before reaching out to hug him tightly, "Thank you." I said. 

With that he drove us back to his house. I walked over to my car, about to climb into the drivers seat, but Lucas grabbed my arm and took the keys out of my hand, "No. You aren't in any condition to drive. I'll take you." Lucas said.

"Lucas I'm fine." I began to protest.

He gave me a stern look, "I am not letting you go out on the road after you just got the news you did. I will drive." He said.

"How will you get home without a car?" I challenged.

"I'll call Cole. Or Miles. Or Tyler. Or Maya. Or any of them. They'll come and grab me with no questions asked." he said with a smug smile, knowing I couldn't argue any more. I shot him a look and walked around to the passenger seat of my car before climbing inside.

Lucas climbed in and buckled his seatbelt before starting the car. He drove me to my house, me directing him since he'd never been to my house before.