"Guys, we need to leave this place right now," Newt announced. Thomas shook inwardly. Newt was the one in charge. "Gather everything we need! Come back here in five minutes."

Those seven boys and two girls made their way. Thomas didn't move an inch. He didn't have any stuff to pack. He had never taken any stuff from his backpack, nothing useful at all. His friend was right on their place either, placing their each backpack on the back. Minho who had his backpack threw it to him. He easily caught it, sliding it around his shoulder.

Clarisse was the one who still sat down, crying. Newt came closer to her. He got his hand on Clarisse's shoulder, squeezing it tightly. "Clare, Edward has gone. You heard what he'd just said? He asked me to save the others. That means, we have to get out of here as fast as possible."

First three seconds, Clarisse didn't answer. The next moment, she pushed herself to get on her feet. Newt helped her steadied. Her eyes never left the boy Newt called Edward. "I wanna kill them all."

"I know." Newt circled his hand around Clarisse shoulder. "Let's make them lose us. That the best way to revenge."

Thomas didn't believe his ears at once. But then, he believed Newt really said that. Yeah, that was Newt should be. The thing he liked from his blonde haired friend was the way that boy handled the situation.

"Yeah, I'll follow you." The tone of Clarisse's voice was more steady. With her sleeve, Clarisse wiped the tears.

"Good that." Newt loosened his hand and faced Thomas. "Tommy, you better be careful."

"What's happened?" the question that tied to his tongue, only could punch his inner mouth, finally escaped.

"They found us." Newt answered. Rage covered his face. "Minho, Jorge, Sam, Edward, and me went out there to find out what had just happened. One of them shot Edward. We already blocked the way. But, sooner or later, they will break through the door."

"Another boy died because of me." Thomas mumbled. Guilt washed his chest. He got bored to bear such that feeling, as if the guilt had never left his life. There was always a chance to him let the guilt stay inside him.

"No, Tommy. Don't blame yourself!"

Thomas opened his mouth, trying to protest. But, he didn't let a word escaped. He knew it wasn't time for debate.

The kids had come back, carrying backpack. They stood around Newt, paying their full attention to their leader, waiting for command.

"Kevin, give me a pistol!" Newt asked. The boy handed him the weapon. Newt took another pistol from his pocket and he still had one in another pocket.

Thomas watched all of them one by one. He and the team from Safe Haven were six. Then, there were Newt and Clarisse, and seven kids. One of them, Thomas thought was about ten years old. The youngest boy looked a little scary. His fierce gaze showed he had a hard life and had passed some bad situations.

"Jorge and Gally, I need you to cover the rear." Newt commanded. The ones he called nodded. He lifted one of his pistol as he looked at Gally, then threw the pistol. Gally got it easily. "Minho, you lead the way with me."

Minho nodded firmly.

"What's the plan?" Thomas couldn't restrain his willingness to ask a question.

"I'm sure they sent some army to block our way out." Newt explained. His calm face ensured him that Newt had the other way out. "So, we have to use another way. It's a bit ... dirty. Hope they don't know that secret way."

"Good that." Thomas nodded. He was ready to go, not giving a damn about what Newt said 'dirty'. That was only a little thing in their big problem.

"And Tommy," Newt hadn't finished with him yet. "You're their main target. Try not to be caught." Newt handed him a pistol. His face showed a big hope that he really want Thomas to promise him.

Thomas took the pistol without said anything, only stared with blank expression. He couldn't promise for something he couldn't keep.

"Attention!" Newt darted his eyes, trying to get focus from the others. No need time for them to pay their attention fully to Newt. He sighed deeply before giving his last instruction. "This is not a safe trip. We've been through some horrible situation. But, this one was the worst. So, I want us to stick together, no matter what. No one leave the others." Newt paused, giving them time to digested his words.

Thomas who stood right beside Newt could see his eyes burnt by determination. If there was a little fear live inside him, Newt expression betrayed his feeling. He utterly didn't look fear. In contrast, he looked like a warrior who readied to die in the arena.

"Tommy, Minho, Jorge, Gally, Brenda, and Lizzy came from a good place to live. They had a Berg. We only have to reach the place where the Berg parked. Then, we're going to leave Denver, starting a new better life. I hope we're all gonna make it. So, keep together. Since the sound will make them trace us easily, answer me by noddin' your head. Are you ready, shanks?"

Every body nodded, except Clarisse. She bowed his head, eyes lingered at the boy's dead body. Her eyelids wrinkled as if she was about to cry. She seemed the most hurt because of Edward's death. Thomas looked at Newt. His face softened. Compassion struggle to get on his face.

"Clare has been together with Ed for long, they're like sister and brother." Newt answered the question in Thomas's mind. "Clare, we have to go right now or we can't fulfill Edward's last hope."

Clarisse slightly nodded.

"Are you ready?"

Clarisse answered with his firs step. "Let's go!" She led the way.

Newt motioned Minho to come closer. The boy quickly took his place. They both walked after Clarisse. Thomas waited until those nine kids made their way behind Newt. He ordered Sonya and Brenda to walk then. He strode behind their heels. Gally and Jorge closed the line.

The followed the railway. No more than a hundred feet. Thus, Newt led them to turn left. He opened the trellis door, entering the tunnel. They were in the dark and pressed tunnel. The smell of the soil rushed into their noses as they entered the tunnel. Someone turned on the light. Thomas could see the soil wall pressed at the right and the left, only giving space for two people.

The tunnel ended after a dozen yards. They jumped, entering the lower track. Thomas supposed it was the track Newt said 'dirty'. They walked through the underground disposal area. Water welled up until a half of his calf. A very bad smell polluted the air. Some rats passed them, creating a noisy voice.

No one complained though. They walked in silent. If they had some thought in their heads, Thomas was sure, that was about safety. WICKED were haunting them, haunting Thomas. Newt didn't inform how many WICKED worker were in Denver. Thomas thought, by adding some people who came with them, there were at least twenty or so. They readied to catch them, wherever.

Thomas had just finished his thought when he heard a gunshot. Newt who led the way immediately stopped. The others stopped after him. The second gunshot tore their ears. Thomas felt his heart raced. The smell of defeat felt more thick.

WICKED was near to them.

***

To be continued
----------------------
Hi, Guys!
I'm happy to publish this chapter. Hope you enjoy it.
If you like this story, you can make the star orange.
Love ya.