Harden My Heart Part One

Skye's POV

The drive home helped me reevaluate everything to make sure I was doing the right thing for myself. I do not need a man controlling my life, I do not need a bad influence in my life when I have already gone down that dark path after my parents passed. I need to clean out this evil in my life and start over. I know it will be hard as soon as he gives me a look of defeat. His beautiful face will affect me, my heart will be broken, which is why I must put on a brave face and be very stern with him. Make him feel as if I have no real feelings for him, that should work, right? 

The halls of the apartments are unsettling quiet as I approach the door, fishing out my keys from the purse I am welcomed by the first wave of cold air condition, a clear sign that Jace heard me, and has opened the door. He gives me a look, a look I know will forever be etched into my mind, it is a look of regret and sadness, almost as if he has guessed what is to become. I brush by him to the living room, preparing myself mentally for how I want to properly approach this, clearly noting the drive home was no help at all. 

"Look, Skye, I am so-" Jace starts to say while moving towards the living room. 

"No, you look, Jace, you came into my work after I had asked you to give me some space. You clearly do not respect my wishes, and on top of all that you got me fired from a decent paying job." I sternly almost harshly said. 

"It was not even the best of jobs Skye, you are constantly harassed there, and it's not like you need it when you'll be a millionaire in less than a month, you do not need to be working at a place like that. I could take care of you until you get your inheritance and even afterward, I do not know why you are making a big deal out of this when all I did was stick up for you."

"That is not all you did, Jace. You threatened my boss, a man you do not know, you had a murderous look. He is not some bad guy you get to kill just because he said some harsh words. Also, I am very aware of my financial standings, you do not need to remind me. But I happened to like working there, I made good money having those comments tossed at me, it did not tear me down any more than your comments from high school, Jace. I am a big girl and can handle them, it has never gotten out of hand. You, on the other hand, have, you got out of line doing this tonight. We are not even dating-"

"Of course we are Skye, how could you even say that!" Jace screams, interrupting me. I shake my head at him. 

"Jace, I think you need to leave. Clearly, you think there is more going on here than there really is. I have let myself get tangled up in your life and it has only been a couple of days. I have already cried more times these days than I have since I was 18. I think you need to pack our belongings and go. I have enough savings to make it through if I have to and if you want I can give you the money back from this month's rent." I explain calmly.

"Fuck that, I am not leaving Skye. We have a signed contract that I will be staying here for the rest of your lease. Yes, baby, you have cried because you have feelings for me, and I am sorry for making you cry. You already know that and I am not sorry for getting you fired because that was a shit hole of a place and you deserve to be at a way better place for employment. Skye, you can't just kick me out of your life, I won't let you."

"That is where you are wrong Jace, I never really even let you into my life, this was all supposed to go on longer so that I could hurt you for hurting me all those years ago. But noo, you had to go and fuck up my shit and get me fired. I had wanted a simple roommate, but when I saw it was you, it fell into a perfect plan to get back at you for all those years ago. I just can not believe you harbored a crush for me and treated me the way you did, not to mention still fucking with my life. I mean really what kind of person are you, oh that's right, you are a killer. If you don't leave my apartment, I will." I harshly lie, hoping it passes as a believable outburst, judging from his face it does seem to be working.

"Huh, bravo then, I guess. You pulled a fast one on me didn't you, but I don't believe you. I know you felt the sparks when we touch or kiss. And yes I may be a killer but I have explained myself enough about that, and if it is too much for you to handle then I guess you will have to get used to it because I am going nowhere, and neither are you." He demands while jerking closer to me. 

"Fucking touch me Jace and I will call the cops. I told you if you stay I will be leaving!" I scream.

"Oh yeah and where will you be going?"

"That is none of your business, that is pretty stupid to ask, do you really think I would tell you, you freaking psychopath." I  shakily say as I watch him approach closer. 

He is right in front of me by the time I decide to move a step back, he reaches out and grabs me. Pulling me flush against him, crushing his lips against mine. I do feel it, all the sparks he mentioned, I can feel myself almost ready to moan but I quickly jerk back and slap him across the face. 

"What the fuck? Do not come any closer, Jace, I mean it." I out of breath exclaim while walking backward into my bedroom. Once inside I close and lock the door, sliding down its length until I am sitting on the cold hardwood floor. I don't know how long I sat there for silently crying for, but eventually, the morning light chased the shadows away in my room and I decided it was time to get up and figure out my next plan. 

The first step, a shower. The room and I was starting to smell of heartbreak and a bar after closing since I was still in my work clothes. Walking into the bathroom gave me memories of the other day with him, but I have to let those go. This is just a bathroom, it holds no memories. Stepping into the shower I let the hot water cascade down my body washing the previous night and memories down the drain. Clearing my head I start to think of what to do and where to go. Remembering my list of places I have always wanted to visit I came up with the perfect escape place, New Orleans. I had wanted to save it for when I turned twenty-one but now seems to be a more than better reason to escape there. 

Turning off the now turned lukewarm water, I step out of the shower, heading into my room to plan my newest adventure. Thinking it must be my lucky day that I left my laptop in my room and not in the living area. Turning it on I start looking at my emails, looking specifically for any from Drake. I know that I should be receiving my monthly amount within a week, I typically get an email asking how I am and if I need anything. Seeing the email, I click to open it.

Dear Skye,

I hope you are well! Not too much longer and you will be receiving all your inheritance, I know you are probably very excited but please remember to be wise. The money is not enough for you to simply retire on, I hope you have thought more about perusing your education like we have previously discussed. With that being said, the deposit will be directly sent to your account in five days.

With love,

           Uncle Drake.

Reading the email reassured myself that I can afford this sudden get away. Looking at prices and ticket times, I purchase my ticket for NOLA. By 6 am tomorrow I shall be at the airport on my way to the most cultured explosive place in the states. Next step, to pack and figure out how to get out of my apartment.

Hello, my lovely readers and follower, I have posted again just for you all. Clearly the title states this is part one, so part two will be soon to come! Much love!!