Chapter 16

Uri started work on the gold rock that same night, and a second at the same time. The next afternoon, he was waiting at the state park, right where Anne had told him she'd be. He waited in the trees, wearing his normal clothes, rather than his disguise. He had his hair pulled back in his standard ponytail.

"I wasn't sure you'd be here tonight," she said as he stepped out of the trees. He had waited only a few minutes, allowing some other people to leave, before he made his way to her.

"You said to meet every night until I am done. I keep promises," he said, but remembered one he hadn't kept, not very long ago.

"This is how you normally dress," she asked.

"Yes, I make my clothes from the animal skins I get," he explained.

"You kill the animals you eat and get the skins from," she then asked.

"Yes, but Bob kills the larger Grizzly bears that I get fur from," Uri said.

"What kind of food do you eat," Anne asked.

"I eat animals in the forest, and I sometimes use vegetables I grow, and use plants in the forest to make it taste better," he told her.

"Wow, you do pretty good out there," she replied.

"I am happy," he said.

"I know what you told me earlier, about your master giving you instructions to learn, but why do you want to learn about people," she asked.

"They are interesting. I like them," he replied, smiling somewhat wistfully. "Except when they try to hurt me and capture me," he added, sounding angry, although not exceptionally so.

"Do you use that bow to hunt," she asked, looking at his bow.

"Yes. Bob gave me a new one not long ago, and made me learn to use it. He believed I could use a stronger one now, and I made him proud," he said.

"How long does it usually take to get used to a new bow," she asked.

"It depends on what he wants to teach me. He usually tries to teach me new ways to use it when he gives me a new bow. This one took many weeks," Uri explained.

"What will you do about Mia now," she asked, and saw his face darken. "I'm sorry. That's none of my business," she quickly said.

"It is okay. I will probably not see her again. It is dangerous for me to go near her," he said.

"But you like her," she stated.

"Yes," he admitted. "I do."

"If you like her, why not let them catch you and go live with people, so you can see her all the time? They'll send you to school, where she is," Anne suggested.

"I do not think they will keep me here, and they will not let me go to her school, I think," he replied.

"You are very smart," she told him.

"You should probably head back home, before it gets too late," she said, standing up. "Thank you for coming to see me," she added.

"I like you. Why would I not come to see you," he asked.

"I don't know. I was a little surprised, to be honest," she admitted.

"Tomorrow, I will share a meal with you," he suddenly said.

"Okay," she replied, not sure what to make of his sudden invitation. With that, he was gone from view as soon as he entered the trees. She also realized she couldn't hear him moving, which unnerved her a little.