Chapter 14

When Sunday afternoon came, there was a knock on the door and a team of people worked to make sure Sam and his mother were properly dressed, almost making their clothes right there in the house. Also as promised, they gave Sam and his mother very basic lessons on etiquette and formal dancing.

Oddly, Uncle Jake was gone the entire weekend, and had no idea they were going to a masquerade ball. That would definitely surprise him, Sam thought, when all of the people finally left. Of course, thinking about who would be there, Sam was pretty sure he'd be very unhappy about it. Unless Uncle Jake told his mom the truth, there was nothing he could do about it, though, and he was pretty sure he wouldn't tell her.

When Tuesday came, Sam was a bundle of nervous energy. To try and keep himself together, he began the task of getting ready as soon as he got home from school. Kristi had not come at all so far that week, which bothered him, but he kind of expected it.

"You look very handsome, Sam," his mother said, as he was brushing his hair. He'd finished everything else, even managing to tie the purple bow tie properly. That was a bit of a feat for him, but it looked good. As for the color of it, he had not been given a choice.

He picked up the little mask, the one that had been suggested for him. All of his options had a similar look, which had included a healthy dose of purple, just like the tie. At least with the mask, he had some choice, but only in the extra stuff on them. The one he'd chosen had some purple feathers on the left side. It was mostly black, but with graduated shades of purple decorations on it. He liked it.

"Charlotte said Kristi might not be happy seeing you there. Are you sure you want to go through with this?" his mother asked. She had never addressed whatever worries she had, at least not with him. Of course, he had no idea what she thought about everything, since she didn't really know much.

"Yes," he said, no doubt at all. He couldn't wait to see her, even if she was angry when she did.

With the chime of the doorbell, she said, "Shall we?"

"You look great, Mom, and thank you for letting me go."

She smiled at him, and said, "Thank you, Sam, and this is a rather interesting opportunity for you. How could I say no?"

When they walked out, there was a long limo waiting, and a man holding the door for them. Another man was at the door of the house to escort them to the car.

"Sir, my lady," the man said, and bowed. "The house chamberlain is in the car. He will brief you on the evening." Sam was a little curious about that, considering he thought Charlotte already had.

Inside the car was an older man. He wasn't ancient, in Sam's estimation, but he was definitely older.

"Good afternoon, Amanda and Sam. I am Artis, the chamberlain for her Majesty, the Queen of Latvia, the Baltic States, Finland and recently acquired, Ukraine."

Sam saw the odd look that formed on his mother's face, before she said, "Latvia doesn't have a queen, nor do those other places."

Artis smiled, one of those smiles that said, "I'm about to educate you."

"There is an unknown government in various places around the world. A monarchy was established in the Baltic States in 1210 A.D. and it has existed uninterrupted since, adding other territories over time. You will find it in no history books, but I give you my word, it exists. The details of this are not important. I only tell you to insure you are not surprised at certain introductions that will occur." Sam noticed an accent similar to the one Charlotte had, but very different from Kristi's.

"Are there any questions, at this point?" he asked.

"Where are you from?" Sam asked. One of the man's eyebrows rose with that question, and he gave a little smile.