"Okay."

Jake hauled himself out of bed, grabbed a fresh set of clothes, and headed for the shower. Done with his 'morning' ablutions, he left his room, where Sam was waiting somewhat impatiently in the kitchen. Jake couldn't help but smile at the boy. Even though he wasn't Sam's father, he thought of the boy like a son, and Sam even looked a lot like him. He guessed the Freymuth genes had come through from his sister, more than the Huff genes of her late husband.

"Do you have time to get lunch?" Jake asked him.

"Yeah, I guess." Although it was obvious Sam really wanted to get together with his friends, he was willing to give Jake this time. He really did love the boy.

"Where do you want to go?" Jake asked.

"How about Chick-Fil-A?"

"That'd be good." He hadn't eaten there in way too long, and he missed those chicken sandwiches. It was a shame it wasn't still breakfast time, so he could get chicken biscuits instead, along with some coffee. Especially coffee.

"If you drive by the new school, you can see where I'll be going to school this year."

"You're going to a new school?" As soon as Jake asked, he remembered that Sam was moving into high school.

"Yeah, didn't you know?"

"I forgot you're moving up to high school."

"There's a new school, and I'm going there. Mom said it was her old high school."

"They decided to open our old school?"

"It's a private school, now." Again, Jake was surprised.

"How can your mom afford private school?"

"They're giving me a scholarship, because my grades are good, and they want some good kids to start the school with. They told me I'd have to keep my grades up, and not have any behavior problems to keep the scholarship, but I'd have it until I graduate if I did."

"I guess I need to spend more time with your Mom." Knowing exactly where the school was, he made a point of swinging by it. He and his sister had both graduated from the same school, which had closed a couple years after Amanda graduated.

Passing the school, Jake was impressed with what he saw. Whoever had bought it made it something unique and new, but retained the heart of the old school underneath. It was impressive from the outside, but he couldn't see the inside. Just as they were about to pass the end of the grounds, he saw they'd even built the one thing his old high school had never had, a football stadium. The stadium definitely didn't look finished, though.

"I'd be interested to see the inside," Jake said, once they were heading toward the mall.

"You should come to the openhouse with us."

"When is it?"

"Tomorrow night."

"I'm not sure I can, but I'll see if your mother minds her big brother tagging along, if I can."

"How long are you home for that injury?"

"Three days."

"You won't be able to take me to school next week, then."

"I might be able to, but I'll have to drop and run."

"Would you mind?" Sam's tone made his hope for that very clear.

"Not at all."