Chapter 3: Hunter of the Dark

Several days after the tragedy, Aqua, Terra and Ventus were left in a disheartened mood. Aqua would barely speak and kept herself locked away in her room for hours on end. While the furious Terra set a bounty on the devious pirate who caused this grief, and promised a hearty reward to those who are able to capture the pirate and turn him in for his crimes. Terra was often out of the castle chatting with local sailors for clues on the pirate or searching for a bounty hunter willing to take up his offer. Ven, meanwhile worried greatly about the two. He hated to see them in such pain, he worried about Aqua's well being and had tried to make small talk with her when he did see her around the castle. But she would mostly respond with quick and empty answers, before disappearing again. The young boy also tried to get Terra's obsessive mind off of the tragedy but was often waved off or ignored entirely and was mostly out of the castle.  

One rainy afternoon, a servant approached the King and told him there was a visitor at the door who was interested in Terra's offer and that he may have some information that could help them on their hunt. Terra quickly ushered the servant to bring the mystery man inside so they could discuss the matter. The servant left and returned fairly quickly, followed by a young man who was about the same height, if not slightly taller, than Ven. He wore a long dark black cloak that covered his body, hiding his outfit with the exception of his black leather boots. He had a hood covering his face exposing only a bit of his dark colored hair and his chin. 

He gave off an ominous vibe that Ven was skeptical of. 'Could this man really be trusted?' Ven thought.

"I heard you were looking for a pirate," said the hooded figure.

"Indeed, one sailing on an old Gummi ship." Terra spoke, his eyes scanning the young man trying to find any unique features. 

"A Gummi ship eh? I know only one pirate who sails using that type of ship." the young man spoke. 

"So you know the pirate who killed princess Kairi?!" The tall brunette man started to rise in anticipation. 

"Calm down your majesty, i'm not completely certain if it's the right guy you're looking for. However, I can tell you what I know about who I think the culprit is." The young man said, "His name is Sora, and he's a pirate who's been plaguing the seas around Radiant Garden for quite some time now. He's been attacking and raiding cargo ships that try to sail to the docs in a similar way to how the ship the princess was on was attacked. Stealing all their goods and then setting the vessel ablaze.

 It wasn't until recently that he stopped attacking the harbor, which was suspicious, considering his track record. However, I do believe that he gained word of the princess's voyage and attacked." Said the young man. Occasionally glancing at Ven. 

"And how exactly do you know all of this?" Terra questioned.

"Truth is your majesty, I used to live in a small town in Radiant Garden and was a sailor back when no one had to worry about pirate attacks. I had left for a week and when I returned my town was pillaged and burned. I asked the locals on what had happened and they told me a pirate who went by Captain Sora had came through and caused mayhem. I ran back to the docks and saw his ship leaving the harbor. Ever sense then, he's been nothing but trouble." 

"Thank you for your information, Mister?" Terra spoke his words trailing off awaiting a reply. 

"Vanitas." Responded the young man. 

Ven's eyes widened upon hearing the young man's name. 

"Would that be all?" Terra said.

"Actually, I'd like to take up your offer on capturing the pirate," Vanitas said, He smiled and glanced up slightly towards Ventus, before looking back to Terra.