Chapter 17

"So what will it be?" She looked at me, glaring and grinning.

I instantly teleported closer to her and punched her in the face, making her loosen Toru, but he was instantly tightened up again.

"I see," she wiped blood off her jaw. "So you're one that can't be fazed by anything, huh?"

I glared and actives my ability.

"Oh, and you can use some of your powers without activating your ability?"

I created a fireball and threw it at her.

"Not going to speak."

"Kami?" John looked over. He looked worried, but I didn't know why.

"I'm fine John."

"Friends with the cripple huh?"

"Shut up!" I screamed. I ran at her and right before I could reach her, she tightened the chains on Toru so tight, he collapsed.

I then jumped and made a sharp ice shard, and stabbed the girl in the neck, and causing her whole body to freeze instantly. That's a first.

I backed up as the girl fell to the ground.

"Kami?" John tapped my shoulder.

I walked up to Toru, and tried to sense his heartbeat, but there was nothing. "He's..." I backed up, and collapsed to sitting on the ground. I could feel tears running down my face. My best friend is....

John then came up behind me and hugged me. "It's not your fault."

"I could have-"

"Kami..."

I looked at Toru's body. Wait, it was very recent, maybe I can save him! I have to try to revive him.

I jumped out of John's hug and I hovered my hand over where his heart is and focused as much energy as I could to try to revive him.

I felt John next to me, I glanced over and seen his eyes glowing. He activated his ability. He's mimicking the healing and trying to help me.

I closed my eyes, and I saw a glow in front of me, faint, but I saw it. What is this glowing?
The glow got brighter, it looked like a bright red, and got brighter quite quickly. Is this an aura? I've never been able to sense these before. Are my ability powers growing even more stronger? How? I haven't been practicing like I used to, so how is this possible?

I opened my eyes and seen Toru started to wake up. I glanced over at John and seen he deactivated his ability. He has to keep it secret...

Toru started grumbling and slowly opened his eyes.

"K- Kami....?"

I nodded. "Mmhmm."

He then opened his eyes wider, gradually sat up, grabbed the sides of my face, pulled me closer to him, and kissed me. What the-

Before I could finish my thoughts, John ran up and pushed Toru off of me.

"What the fuck, dude." Toru pushes John off of him.

I just sat there shocked, watching. Were they really going to fight over me?

"She revives you, you wake up, and the first thing you do is kiss her?" John yelled, shoving him on the ground.

"You don't even know her!" Toru was trying to activate his ability, but he clearly, to me at least, didn't have enough energy to do so.

"You don't know anything!" John grabbed Toru's shirt and got read to punch him.

"I know more than you!" Toru grabbed John's wrist and pushed it, causing John to fly backwards.

I couldn't take this arguing and fighting anymore. "Stop!" I yelled. They are so immature, fighting over a girl. I need a break.

They stopped fighting and turned towards me. "Toru," I looked at him. "I know."

"Know what...?" He had blushed faintly.

"I know you like me," I paused. "And I'm sorry, I know I just helped you and all, but I only see you as my best friend, that's it."

He stared at me.

"What about me?" John spoke up.

I turned towards him. "Now's not the time."

I closed my eyes and saw two glowing ovals. One was brownish orange while the other was like an emerald green. I still have no idea what the colors mean, but I needed to find out soon. I better remember these colors and do some research.

I concentrated and teleported myself somewhere somewhat secluded. I opened my eyes and seen a forest. It looked familiar, but why?

—I booked it for the forest. I sat leaning against the tree, crying—

I shook my head. I need to stop thinking about that— wait. This, this is the forest I ran to back then, but why here?

I looked around and seen two buildings near by. One looked like my old middle school, and the other looked like a high school.

I avoided my middle school and started heading to the high school. I looked slightly familiar, but it was from the side.

As I got closer, I felt some sort of ominous energy surrounding the place, and I felt a little weaker than usual.

I walked around towards the front and seen people walking back and forth, but they weren't students. Some of them were holding something that looked like a staff?

I tried to get a closer look without getting caught, and the staff looked red at the top, but was flat. What is that?

I looked around more and seen what looked like bodies on the ground. They were all cut up with dried blood everywhere, and there was a mark on all of them. It can't be....

EMBER...

I whipped around and leaned against the wall. I turned and seen a sign. "Wellston Private High School."

EMBER took the school over!? That's why they had to transfer, or was it because of the risk and EMBER ended up getting to some of them but the others escaped? Ugh I don't know what to think.

I turned around and ran back to the forest. I felt my power gain back to normal. I headed to my old school and seen there were a bunch of loose dirt. I walked around it and as I got closer, I felt a force field around the school.

Are they trying to protect the school from someone? EMBER?

I got to the front and seen a flyer. I picked it up and seen there was a picture of me.

"Keep this girl away from this school, if you see her, report her to the headmaster and make sure she can't get away." I read aloud.

I looked up. Shit, I better-

"Hey!" I turned around and it was already too late. "Who goes there?"

"No one!" I said, trying to make my voice sound different.

"If you don't attend this school please leave the premises or I will-" He then stopped.

Shit, he must have realized who I was.

"Wait a minute."

I then booked it.

"Hey, get back here!"

I ran as fast as I could but I sensed something coming at me faster than I was running, I tried to duck, but I was too slow.

I got electrocuted and blacked out.