An Unexpected Challenge

Start from the beginning

'How... how so?' Ryke questioned, clearing his throat and lifting his head a little higher in an effort to feign confidence.

'I saw the way he always looked at my sister, and how he looked for her when she wasn't around,' Cas chuckled, but there was little joy in the sound. 'They think they had us all fooled by their bickering behaviour but you'd have to be blind not to see it.'

'I don't follow,' Ryke replied, tilting his head to the side with a frown.

'It wasn't Bram outside the wall,' Cas explained, rolling his eyes, 'somehow they're controlling him. He looked at Vada with such a cold, dark stare... it can't have been him, people don't change like that overnight!'

Ryke never thought he'd see the day that Cas came to him with his guard down and his vulnerability exposed, And now that he had, he didn't like it, it was incredibly disconcerting.

'I think we need to do some digging. We should ask around and find out if anything happened that could turn him against Vada so strongly. If not, then we can consider whether there is some dark magic afoot.' 

-

Diya had just finished feeding her baby by the fire in the Pyrite house when Cas and Ryke barged in. The moment Cas noticed her he clapped his hand over his eyes and stumbled to such a sudden stop that Ryke ran straight into his back with a grunt of pain.

Diya chuckled as she covered her chest and handed her baby over to Darla who whisked the small drowsy bundle away upstairs, glaring at Cas and shaking her head as she passed by.

'I brought this,' Ryke said suddenly, slipping around Cas and offering the young mother a small corked container of milky white liquid. 'It'll really help with your energy levels.'

'Thank you, Ryke,' Diya replied, taking the bottle with a polite smile.

'Take it as a tea, two drops with warm water-'

'We need to ask you about Bram!' Cas cut in, throwing himself in the armchair across from Diya. His shoulders were hunched and a heavy frown sat on his youthful brow. As he sat, he considered that it wasn't very long ago that he had left Bram and Vada sitting in these very same seats when Ryke arrived in the village.

'Well, about his relationship with Vada, to be precise.' Ryke added, looking guilty. 'I'm sorry if it's uncomfortable but it's very important-'

'No, it isn't uncomfortable,' Diya sighed, 'its actually a relief to clear things up!'

Ryke and Cas exchanged a glance before encouraging her to continue.

'Bram is, and always has been, like a brother to me. My father was Chief Han'ril's high priest. When he died Bram promised to care for me and he has done just that, but he isn't my lover or my child's father...'

Diya paused in her explanation to allow her words to sink in. In hindsight, she wished she'd never gone along with Bram's plan to obscure the truth but Chief Han'ril had become a terrifying man since her own father's death. Bram didn't fear any man easily, but his father had terrified him since childhood.

'Bram is my daughter's uncle.'

Upon hearing the announcement Cas felt as though he'd been doused in ice cold water.

Ryke on the other hand, began to pace.

'Why would he turn against us, and join his father no less?' Ryke erupted. His stride grew more frantic and the wooden floor protested his pounding feet with high pitched whines. 'It makes no sense!'

'None at all,' Diya agreed, shaking her head, 'he was terrified about Chief Han'ril finding out about my daughter-'

'Then perhaps Han'ril has found out and he's using that knowledge to demand Bram's allegiance?' Cas suggested. The words seemed to burn his tongue as he said them aloud.

'Very good point Cas, we can't rule that out,' Ryke agreed, stopping suddenly to meet Cas's serious gaze.

'Are we safe here if that's the case?' Diya asked, her heart began to race as fear took hold in an instant. Her body itched to jump up from its seat, race up the stairs and steal her daughter away into the night.

'I'll speak Vin about posting guards at the house day and night, perhaps one of the dragons will remain close as well.' Cas soothed, recognising the wild fear in the young mother's eyes.

'You are most definitely in the safest place here, Diya.' Ryke agreed.

Diya desperately wanted to believe them but her heart did not cease it's hard beat.

'Has there been any change in Vada's behaviour?' Despite their strained relationship, Diya felt that the Chieftess was the only person who could truly put her mind at ease.

Vada had withstood such incredible adversity that she exuded confidence and security, whether she realised it or not.

'She's still on the wall, I'm worried she's becoming part of it!' Cas declared, throwing his arms up in exasperation.

'It must have been a great blow to her,' Diya mumbled, 'betrayal is a hard pill to swallow.'