Dry Cheeks

Everything hurt when she told you what was happening. Y/c and y/f were talking. Like talking talking. Flirty messages and all that sorts of emojis that everyone uses. She gushed about it for hours during your hangout session. You should have told her how you felt about it, but you didn't.

You wanted it to be your own secret.

You were too late.

You've been friends with y/c for what it feels like forever, and when you saw him next- you couldn't help but give him the cold shoulder.

"What's up your ass?" He asks when you didn't say hi to him this morning. It's now passing period to 3rd.

"Nothing." You grip your backpack handles.

"Hey," He grasps your arm. "I know well enough to know when something's wrong with you."

"Maybe you should ask your new girlfriend."

With that he furrows his brows, and you stock away from him.

He follows close behind; still highly confused. "You know I don't have a girlfriend."

"Whatever you considering just talking is then." I begin to walk away.

"What is wrong with you? Are you jealous that me and y/f are talking?"

"No. Of course not."

"It sure fucking sounds like it." He raises his voice at you.

"It's nothing. I'm sorry." You apologize. You didn't want to blow this out of of portions. "Just a shitty day at home. I didn't mean to take it out on you."

His eyes soften, and he begins to lean on the wall behind him. "What happened?"

"Nothing. Just my parents are arguing again." You half lie. They were arguing, but your use to it by now.

He nods his head. "You want to talk about it?" He asks.

You shake your head. Y/c was not good at giving advice, but he was good at listening for the most part.

That was the thing with y/c. He was always there for you, and one day he wouldn't. One day she would have him. One day he wouldn't be one call away. One day you wouldn't be able to casually flirt with him anymore. One day you wouldn't be able to hug him longer than you should. One day was the next day.

Y/f broke the news to you that she asked him out. And the hugs became shorter. The hugs became even side hugs. The midnight texts began to be nonexistent. It seemed like you and him were never friends to begin with.

It's a month later, and y/f begins to rant about how y/c doesn't give her what she wants. You and y/b/f listen in on her fiasco. He doesn't kiss her long enough. He responds texting her for long periods of time. Doesn't give her the attention that she wants.

You begin to give her advice. "Maybe try talking to him about it." You suggest.

She scoffs. "Oh come one, y/n. You've never even been in relationship. You don't how it is. How would you know? You haven't even kissed a guy, or even touched one for that matter. Don't give me advice if you can't handle your own shit. It's not that easy."

That struck a nerve, and your insecurities of being single forever continued in your brain.

"Hey, don't take it out on y/n." Y/b/f scolds.

But the damage was already done.

With the argument of your parents increasing and the constant reminder that you'll be in college in a few months and you've never been in a relationship, gives you one of the worse anxiety attack's ever. It's not just some petty comments from your friend, but your constant fear that you will die alone. Alone in a house. You've always had that fear, and it struck you today when you walked away from them towards the bathroom. After a few minutes of your attack, you come yourself done a bit. Your are still red, but your tears have stopped. You begin to have hiccup cries from your crying, but overall you're okay. You walk out the bathroom and down the hall you see none other than y/c. He spots you in an instance.

His expression is flat, but now worried as he walks to you quickly. In an instant he wraps his arms around you. He knows when you get worked up about certain things, but you had no idea that he would still be this comforting even after being in a relationship with y/f. "Just breathe." He squeezes into your hug, and begins repeating himself over and over. You've stopped crying, but your eyes sting red.

You pull back as you feel people watching you both. His eyes stare harsh but soft into yours. His hands come up to your cheeks, wiping away any remaining tears that may have fell. There was none, but instead he continued to touch your cheeks with such intensity that it almost made your heartbeat faster than your rapid breathing. Your hands touch at his elbows. Your eyes deeply staring back into his.

It was so weird. It was like you were in some romantic movie, with his hands still on your cheeks rubbing under your eyes.

"Are you okay? What's wrong?" His voice hush.

"I've just had a shit day. I'm fine now."

"Are you sure." His face moves closer to you.

"Yes." You whisper.

"Okay." He's still rubbing around your eyes, and it's making you dizzy. You back away, dropping your arms from his elbows. His hands drop as well, and there's clear awkwardness around you and him.

You smile up at him, and walk away to class.

You see him around the halls, and you feel his eyes on you like a hawk. He doesn't say anything, just smiles and waves. Mouthing to you if you're okay. You nod.

The next day, you hadn't even noticed that you never said thank you to him. For his comfort.

As soon as you saw him in the morning, you walk straight to him. Though y/f's and y/c look to be having a heated discussion. She frowns at him, and walks away. Her shoulders slumps down. His glare is just as prevalent, until he notices you.

You give him a small wave. He instantly gives you hug, and picks to up in the air for a swing. He hasn't done that in while. Not since he was single at least.

"Hey." You say when he puts you down.

"Are you alright?" He asks instead of properly greeting you.

"Yes. I actually wanted to talk to you about that. Thank you for yesterday. I know you don't owe me anything, but I truly appreciate your comfort."

"Of course. You know you can always talk to me whenever."

"I know. It's just ever since you've been in a relationship, I've never wanted to bother."

"I'm not in one anymore."

"What..."

"We just broke up."

"When? Why?" She hasn't said anything to you.

"About five minutes ago." He pauses. His eyes looking deeply into yours. "I know what she said to you."

You stay silent. Your eyes on the floor. "Y/b/f told you I guess."

He nods his head. "Y/f is an asshole."

"She was just mad at you." You defend.

"I don't give a fuck." He grasps your shoulders. "All I care about is if your okay."

He broke up with her because of something she probably didn't mean.

"I'm fine."

"Let's hangout after school."

"Why?"

"Cause I want to." He says in a matter a fact tone.

You knew you shouldn't. Considering y/f and y/c just broke up, but you didn't care because y/c wanted to hangout. You nod your head at him, and he smiles back.

Another lingering hug is placed between both of your arms.

"I don't want you to be sad." He mumbles into your hair.