Taken

It gets a little angsty here but don't worry, everything turns out for the best! If you're avoiding angst at all costs because of a certain Avengers Infinity War then you can skip the next few (basically all of...) chapters. But I need a plot to continue the story :(.
     Onwards!

Tony shivered as he remembered that he was all alone in the house. He and Peter had spent yesterday working on projects and such until his aunt asked for him to be returned home. Tony had tried to immerse himself in improvements to the suit. He had succeeded for the entire night but the daylight filtering into his workshop through the glass wall reminded him that he had to do something other than work. He wiped his face, which did little to reduce the amount of grime since his hands were equally dirty, but did allow him to realize that he was crying. With a start he realized that he wasn't just alone in the house, he was alone. Pepper had called for a temporary break, saying his arrogance would be his downfall and she couldn't bear to watch it happen - how temporary could it really be? And Tony Stark was bad for Peter - he had to remember that and keep his distance. 

But no human could take being alone, and Tony was no exception. He tried to stop the tears but they just kept coming until he couldn't help it and he sank to the floor, head in hands. Sobs racked his body as he felt himself slipping into hopelessness. Then a voice echoed in his head. Peter's.

I understand. I just - I just wanted to be like you.

And I wanted you to be better.

But Peter was better. So much better than Tony could ever hope to be. Maybe though, maybe, he could try to live up to Peter's expectations. Maybe then he wouldn't be alone. 

"Sir?" FRIDAY's voice snapped him out of his reverie.

"Yeah, what?" Tony frowned. His voice was still thick with tears and he struggled to get it under control

"An incoming call from May Parker," FRIDAY announced, "Would you like to take it?"

May? What the hell? Why was she calling him?

"Yeah, take it," he took a deep breath.

"Mr. Stark, I'd really like my kid back now," was the first thing she said. Tony's initial emotion was confusion, but it settled into dread at the pit of his stomach.

"I sent him home last night."

"No... he called to say he was staying over one more night," May corrected.

"FRIDAY, do a sweep to see if he's in Stark Tower," Tony instructed. FRIDAY did as told - there was no one.

"I sent Happy to take him home yesterday," Tony said, "It was Happy's last task of the day, and he has today off."

"You mean, you don't have him?" May's voice rose a notch.

"I'm coming over," Tony said, and ended the call. He massaged his temples, another lump appearing in his throat, signaling tears. He pushed it down. Now was not the time. He had a kid - his kid - to save.