Submit

Peter struggled, he really did, but it was no use. What was left of him was not in control of his body, though he could clearly see everything that was happening as if through his own eyes. It was disconcerting and unnatural and every time Peter tried to think deeply about it he nearly threw up. But it wasn't him throwing up, really, because this thing was in his blood, in his veins.

"Mr. Stark progress report?" Not-Pepper asked.

"Heading our way, though he hasn't received our traceable message," Not-Peter responded. Peter winced, because the words were coming from his mouth.

Not-Pepper let out a wicked laugh, "He is too smart for his own good. Swivilla will be proud."

Peter had heard the name Swivilla before. She was the head of this operation, the one who was trying to bring down Tony Stark. How or why she was doing this were unclear, but Not-Peter didn't care. 

"I am glad Swivilla put us in her service," Not-Peter said stiffly, and with a start, Peter remembered that behind Not-Pepper's mask Pepper must be there. If he could only find out a way to communicate with her, they might be able to warn Tony. He tried to submerse himself in Not-Peter's personality, sinking into control. He experimentally tried raising his hand. His body complied for the first time in hours.

He tried to say, 'I hate Swivilla,' but that didn't work. He hadn't expected it - he needed small steps.

"Your subconscious fighting, too?" He asked as nonchalantly as possible. Not-Pepper answered with a curt nod. Peter felt a thrill ride at this gesture. The swiftness of the inclination had been such that Peter was sure that Pepper had been in control of that action. She knew now, then, that Peter was still there.

"The little bitch," Not-Pepper grinned, but the smirk was sarcastic enough that it might have been a snarky Pepper. There was hope yet.

"So what's Swivilla's grand plan?" Peter asked, not so subtly changing the topic.

"No idea," Not-Pepper answered. Peter felt a rush of adrenaline through him. Both he and Pepper were talking now, he was sure, but the fake versions of themselves believed they were in control.

"Why does she hate Mr. Stark so much?" Peter questioned.

Not-Pepper shut him down immediately, "We are not permitted to know that and will not inquire."

Pepper was gone. Peter sighed and retreated inside his own mind. This would take some time, but at least it was a start.